No. 25 Liberty Set to Open 2021-22 Campaign at Marquette Intercollegiate
No. 25 Liberty will kick off its 2021-22 season on Sunday when the Flames tee it up at the 2021 Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills.
The three-day, 54-hole event is hosted by Marquette at the renowned Erin Hills Golf Course in Hartford, Wis. The course hosted the 2017 U.S. Open where Brooks Koepka captured the first of his four major championship titles in record-setting fashion.
Round one gets underway starting at 9 a.m. (CST) with players going off the No. 1 and No. 10 tees on Sunday. Liberty’s starting five will be sent off the No. 10 tee, starting at 10:40 a.m.
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2020-21 Stroke Average)
- Kieran Vincent (70.48)
- Jonathan Yaun (71.59)
- Austin Duncan – N/A (first year at Liberty)
- Connor Polender (76.33)
- Isaac Simmons (74.85)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty’s Previous Showing at the Marquette Intercollegiate
- This is the third time Liberty has completed in the Marquette Intercollegiate as they always participated in this event in 2016 and 2019.
- The 2016 event was played at the Milwaukee Country Club because the Erin Hills Golf Course was preparing to host the 117thS. Open in 2017.
- At the 2019 event, which was hosted at Erin Hills, Liberty finished in seventh place out of 12 teams, carding a 12-over par 876 (297-294-285).
- Purdue won the 2019 event with a winning score of 9-under par 855 (301-278-276).
- 2021 grad Alexandre Fuchs paced the Flames in 2019, finishing in fourth place with a score of 5-under par 211, two shots outside of capturing medalist honors.
- Jonathan Yaun finished tied for 30th place with a 5-over par 221 (77-74-70), while Isaac Simmons finished tied for 35th place with a 6-over par 222 (75-73-74).
- Connor Polender finished in 25th place with a 3-over par 219 (75-71-73), competing in the event as an individual.
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out
- The last time the Flames were on the golf course (Grayhawk Golf Club/Scottsdale, Ariz.) was last May when Liberty was part of the 30-team field at the 2021 NCAA Men’s Golf Championship
- Liberty finished in 21st place with a 39-over par 879 (295-300-284), finishing seven shots outside of advancing to the top-15 round of competition.
- Liberty’s appearance at last year’s national championship was its second showing in program history at college golf’s year-end event.
- Liberty finished in 10th place at the 2012 NCAA Men’s Golf Championship.
- Kieran Vincent (77-75-66) and Jonathan Yaun (73-73-72) paced the way for the Flames, finishing tied for 56th place with an 8-over par 218.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- The Flames are coming off one of the most historic seasons in program history.
- Liberty was consistently ranked inside the top-25 Golfstat national rankings throughout the spring season, reaching a program best No. 13 ranking on April 14.
- Liberty finished the year ranked No. 24 in the final Golfstat national rankings and No. 19 in the Golfweek national rankings.
- Liberty enters the 2021-22 season ranked No. 25 in the Bushnell/Golfweek Preseason Coaches Poll.
- The Flames return a pair of All-Americans from their 2020-21 lineup to lead Liberty during the 2021-22 season.
- Kieran Vincent, a 2021 Golfweek All-America third team selection, finished the 2020-21 season with a 70.48 stroke average, setting a new school record (previous record: Jonathan Yaun – 70.78 set in 2019-20).
- Yaun, who earned 2020 GCAA/Ping All-America honors, ranked second on Liberty’s roster with a 71.59 season stroke average, that included three top-10 finishes.
Looking at the Latest Rankings:
East Tennessee State
- Erin Hills Golf Course (Hartford, Wis.)
- Par 72, 7,344 yards
Following the Flames at Marquette Intercollegiate:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Sunday at 10:40 a.m./CST (off No. 10 tee)