No. 25 Liberty Moves Up to 4th Place at Marquette Intercollegiate
No. 25 Liberty had one of the best rounds on Monday during a day that saw all 18 teams in the field find red numbers during round two of the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills.
Liberty fired a 15-under par 273 on Monday, a score which is tied for the fifth-best 18-hole total in program history, during its second time around the famed Erin Hill Golf Course (par 72, 7,344 yards).
The Flames, who are ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll, moved up four spots on the leaderboard to fourth place with an overall 16-under par 560 (287-273).
Liberty will look to continue to climb the leaderboard during tomorrow’s final round. The Flames will go off the No. 1 tee starting at 9:50 a.m. EST.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Austin Duncan – T9 7-under par 137 (71-66)
- Kieran Vincent – T14 6-under par 138 (72-66)
- Connor Polender – T24 3-under par 141 (70-71)
- Jonathan Yaun – T56 2-over par 146 (74-72)
- Isaac Simmons – T62 3-over par 147 (77-70)
- All 18 teams in the tournament field carded under-par totals on Monday.
- Liberty was one of eight teams in the field to fire a score that was 10 strokes under par or better.
- Liberty’s 15-under par 273 was the third-best team score of the day on Monday.
- After playing at a stroke average of 72.88 on Sunday, Erin Hills Golf Course, which hosted the 2017 U.S. Open, played at a stroke average of 70.92 on Monday.
- USF continues to lead the tournament, standing atop the leaderboard with an overall score of 28-under par 548 (278-270).
- Texas A&M is in second place with a 25-under par 551 (282-269), while Purdue is seven shots clear of Liberty in third place with a 23-under par 553 (275-278).
- Liberty shares fourth place with Kansas (16-under par 560/283-277).
- Texas A&M’s Walker Lee currently leads the 90-man field at 11-under par 133 (66-67).
- A total of 29 players carded sub-70 rounds on Monday, including Liberty’s Austin Duncan (66) and Kieran Vincent (66).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- Austin Duncan, a transfer from North Greenville, moved into the top 10 (7-under par 137/71-66) after carding a 6-under par 66 on Monday.
- Duncan posted seven birdies on the day and nearly had a clean card before he dropped a stroke with a bogey on the closing No. 18 hole (par 5, 637 yards).
- Vincent jumped up 16 spots on the individual leaderboard following a 6-under par 66 to a share of 14th place with an overall score of 6-under par 138 (72-66).
- Vincent led the Flames on the day with eight birdies and is tied for fifth overall in the field with 11 birdies through two rounds.
- The Flames continue to play well on the par-5 holes, as Liberty ranks fourth in the field with a 4.60 scoring average (-16) on the par-5 holes.
- Erin Hills Golf Course (Hartford, Wis.)
- Par 72, 7,344 yards
Following the Flames at Marquette Intercollegiate:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 3 Tee Time: Tuesday at 9:50 a.m./EST (off No. 1 tee)