No. 25 Liberty in 4th Place at Maridoe Collegiate Invitational
The Flames remain near the top of the leaderboard following another challenging day of play at the 2021 Maridoe Collegiate Invitational on Tuesday.
Liberty, who is ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll, is in fourth place with a 36-hole total of 11-over par 587 (291-296) after two trips around the Maridoe Golf Club (par 72, 7,351 yards).
The Flames trail clubhouse leader and No. 3 Arizona State by 11 strokes, with the Sun Devils sitting atop the 15-team leaderboard with an even par 576 (294-282).
In addition to live stat coverage provided by Golfstat.com, the Golf Channel will be broadcasting live from 4 to 7 p.m. EST each day of the invitational.
Liberty will return to the course on Wednesday for the final round and will be paired up with Texas A&M and Texas Tech. The three teams will be sent off the No. 1 tee at 12 p.m. EST.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Kieran Vincent – 7 even par 144 (73-71)
- Connor Polender – T12 2-over par 146 (68-78)
- Jonathan Yaun – T24 5-over par 149 (75-74)
- Austin Barbin – T44 8-over par 152 (79-73)
- Austin Duncan – T47 9-over par 153 (75-78)
- The 15-team field features eight teams currently ranked in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll: Arizona State (No. 3), Texas (No. 5), Oklahoma (No. 7), Wake Forest (No. 8), Texas Tech (No. 9), Texas A&M (No. 16), SMU (No. 21) and Liberty (No. 25).
- The Maridoe Golf Club continues to be a stern test of golf, playing at nearly four strokes over par on Tuesday (75.67 scoring average).
- Only two teams in the field managed to break par on Tuesday: No. 3 Arizona State (6-under par 282) and No. 5 Texas (4-under par 284).
- Arizona State holds a two-stroke lead over Texas (2-over par 578/294-284) and a four-stroke edge over No. 7 Oklahoma (4-over par 580/290-290).
- A total of 14 players finished the day in red figure and six will enter the final round with an overall under-par score.
- Arizona State’s Cameron Sisk currently leads the 75-man field with an overall 8-under par 136 (70-66) after carding a 6-under par 66 on Tuesday.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- Liberty’s Kieran Vincent was the only Flame to post a score in red figures on Monday, carding a 1-under par 71.
- Vincent enters tomorrow’s final round in seventh place with an overall score at even par 144 (73-71).
- Connor Polender, who was the clubhouse leader following round one, dropped to a share of 12th place on Tuesday with an overall score of 2-over par 146 (68-78).
- The Flames finished the day with 16 total birdies and rank tied for third overall with 29 total birdies following two rounds.
- Maridoe Golf Club (Carrollton, Texas)
- Par 72, 7,351 yards
Following the Flames at Maridoe Collegiate Invitational:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 3 Tee Time: Wednesday at 12:00 p.m./EST (off No. 1 tee)