No. 22 Liberty Concludes Fall Schedule at Hamptons Intercollegiate
No. 22 Liberty will wrap up its three-tournament fall schedule next week when the Flames participate in the Hamptons Intercollegiate.
The two-day, 54-hole event is hosted by Loyola-Maryland at the historic Maidstone Club (par 72, 6,665 yards) in East Hampton, N.Y.
Play gets underway on Monday for 36 holes of continuous play, followed by the final round on Tuesday. Liberty’s players will be sent off the tees between holes No. 14 and 17 on Monday for a shotgun start at 9 a.m. The Flames will be paired with golfers from Penn and Yale.
Now on The Tee – Liberty’s Starting Five (2021-22 Stroke Average)
- Kieran Vincent (71.50)
- Austin Duncan (72.33)
- Connor Polender (72.83)
- Jonathan Yaun (72.83)
- Austin Barbin – (77.67)
- Individual: Isaac Simmons (74.00)
Tournament Reflections – Previous Showing at the Hamptons Intercollegiate
- This is the first time the Flames have ever competed in the Hamptons Intercollegiate.
- The event started in 2019 and was won by Oregon State.
- The Beavers posted a winning score of 26-over par 890 (309-290-291), finishing 32 shots clear of tournament host Loyola-Maryland’s 58-over par 922 (310-309-303).
- The tournament was scheduled to return during the fall of 2020 but was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Maidstone Club opened in 1891 and was renovated by World Golf Hall of Fame member Ben Crenshaw in 2012.
- The Maidstone Club was ranked No. 64 on Golf Digest’s 2021 America’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses listing.
- The Hamptons Intercollegiate is the second-straight new tournament on Liberty’s fall schedule.
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty’s Last Time Out
- Liberty is coming off a fifth-place finish at the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational, which was hosted by North Texas on Sept. 13-15.
- The Flames fired a 13-over par 877 (291-296-290) after three trips around the challenging Maridoe Golf Club (par 72, 7,351 yards) in Carrollton, Texas.
- The 15-team field featured eight teams ranked in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll: Arizona State (No. 3), Texas (No. 5), Oklahoma (No. 7), Wake Forest (No. 8), Texas Tech (No. 9), Texas A&M (No. 16), SMU (No. 21) and Liberty (No. 25).
- No. 7 Oklahoma closed the tournament with a 7-under par 281 to claim the team title with an overall winning score of 3-under par 861 (290-290-281).
- The event featured live coverage on the Golf Channel all three days.
- Kieran Vincent paced the way for the Flames, finishing the event tied for seventh place with an even par 216 (73-71-72).
- Vincent was named the ASUN Men’s Golfer of the Week following the top-10 finish.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
- The Flames are coming off one of the most historic seasons in program history.
- Liberty was consistently ranked inside the top-25 Golfstat national rankings throughout the spring season, reaching a program best No. 13 ranking on April 14.
- Liberty finished the year ranked No. 24 in the final Golfstat national rankings and No. 19 in the Golfweek national rankings.
- Liberty enters its final event of the fall season ranked No. 22 in the latest Golfweek men’s golf team rankings.
- The Flames return a pair of All-Americans from their 2020-21 lineup to lead Liberty during the 2021-22 season.
- Kieran Vincent, a 2021 Golfweek All-America third team selection, finished the 2020-21 season with a 70.48 stroke average, setting a new school record (previous record: Jonathan Yaun – 70.78 set in 2019-20).
- Yaun, who earned 2020 GCAA/Ping All-America honors, ranked second on Liberty’s roster with a 71.59 season stroke average, which included three top-10 finishes.
Looking at the Latest Rankings:
George Washington (216)
Georgia Tech (4)
Note: 2021 Division I Bushnell Golfweek Coaches poll (as of Oct. 1)
- Maidstone Club (East Hamptons, N.Y.)
- Par 72, 6,665 yards
Following the Flames at Hamptons Intercollegiate:
- Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
- Twitter @LibertyGolf
- Instagram @LibertyGolf
- Round 1 Tee Time: Monday at 9:00 a.m./EST (Shotgun Start)