No. 21 Lipscomb Scores Late to Down Liberty 2-0
The No. 21 Lipscomb Bisons broke a scoreless match with a goal with less than five minutes left to defeat the Liberty Flames 2-0 in a hard-fought ASUN contest at Osborne Stadium on Saturday.
The host Flames held the Bisons, the highest scoring offense so far this season in the ASUN Conference, to a scoreless draw through the first 85 minutes of the contest. However, a header by Malachi Jones from inside the 18-yard box with 4:08 left in regulation gave Lipscomb a 1-0 advantage. It was the first time in four home games that Liberty had given up a goal this season.
Liberty goalkeeper Blake Franzen recorded five saves in the contest. Lipscomb held a 7-3 advantage on shots on goal in the match.
Liberty drops to 1-1 in the ASUN Conference and 2-2-2 on the season. Lipscomb remains unbeaten, moving to 2-0 in conference and 5-0-1 overall.
LIP – 85:52 – Malachi Jones (Assisted by Alejandro Lopez)
LIP – 86:48 – Jelldrick Dallmann (Penalty kick)
After a corner kick, Liberty defenders attempted to clear the box with less than five minutes remaining. Bisons forward Alejandro Lopez stripped the ball away from a Flames defender in traffic and was able to move into space at the top of the 18-yard box. Lopez lofted the ball from the left into the right side of the box for a charging Jones. The forward headed the ball into the top left corner of the Liberty net for a 1-0 advantage.
Less than a minute later, Jelldrik Dallmann was pulled down in the box, awarding Lipscomb a penalty kick. Dallmann, who leads the ASUN in goals, scored on the kick to extend the Bisons’ advantage to 2-0.
Key Stats & Notes
- Liberty gave up its first goals at home in 2022 this evening. The Flames went 355:52 without allowing a goal at Osborne Stadium over its first three-plus matches.
- Lipscomb is the third nationally ranked opponent the Flames have faced this season. It is the first time Liberty has faced three or more nationally ranked opponents in a season since it faced four in 2011.
- Liberty finishes its three-game homestand with a 1-1-1 mark.
- Lipscomb held a 14-7 shot advantage over Liberty. Corner kicks were even at 3-3.
- Liberty goalkeeper Blake Franzen made five saves in the contest. Michael Sibley, who played the first 86:48 of the match for the Bisons, recorded three.
- Midfielder Marko Mitrevski and forward Wan Gatkek led the Flames with two shots each in the contest.
- Lipscomb’s Dallmann leads the ASUN Conference with six goals.
The Flames take to the road for their first trip of 2022 to Florida. On Friday, Liberty will travel to Fort Myers, Fla., for an ASUN match against the FGCU Ospreys. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.