No. 20 FGCU Holds Off Liberty 11-8
The No. 20 FGCU Eagles fought off a late rally by the Liberty Flames for an 11-8 win, Saturday afternoon at Swanson Stadium.
The Eagles scored nine runs during the middle innings to build an 11-4 advantage, only to see the Flames battle back with two runs in each of the sixth and seventh innings to whittle the host’s lead to 11-8. However, FGCU did not let Liberty get any closer, collecting its first ASUN Conference win of the year.
First baseman Alejandro Figueredo went 4-for-4 with two home runs, a double and five RBI in the game for the Eagles. Right fielder Brian Ellis also had four hits, a home run and three RBI, scoring three runs for FGCU.
Liberty left fielder Three Hillier had two hits in the contest, including his second home run of the season, and had three RBI. Right fielder Camden Troyer led the Flames with three hits and two RBI.
With the win, the Eagles even their series with the Flames at 1-1. Liberty drops to 8-10 overall and 1-1 in ASUN play. FGCU moves 15-4 overall and 1-1 in the conference.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (8-10, 1-1 ASUN); FGCU (15-4, 1-1 ASUN)
Location: Fort Myers, Fla. (Swanson Stadium)
WP: Max Rippl (2-0) | LP: Nick Moran (1-2) | SV: LJ McDonough (4)
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Troyer scores, 1-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Guy singles, Hillier and Foster score, 3-0
1st INNING – FGCU – Figueredo homers, 3-1
2nd INNING – FGCU – Felix homers, 3-2
3rd INNING – FGCU – Figueredo homers, Povey and Ellis score, 5-3
4th INNING – FGCU – Ellis singles, Wilmer scores, 6-3
4th INNING – FGCU – Figueredo doubles, Ellis scored, 7-3
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier homers, 7-4
5th INNING – FGCU – Mummau singles and advances on a fielding error, Lowjewski and Felix score, 9-4
5th INNING – FGCU – Ellis homers, Mummau scores, 11-4
6th INNING – LIBERTY – Troyer singles, Horton scores, 11-5
6th INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier grounds out, Keeter scores, 11-6
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Horton grounds out, Lazzaro scores, 11-7
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Troyer singles, Keeter scores, 11-8
– FGCU collected 15 hits in the contest. Liberty had 11.
– The Flames committed two errors. The Eagles made one.
– Liberty left 11 men on base. FGCU left nine men on base.
– Flames center fielder Jaylen Guy had two hits and drove in two runs in the game.
– Liberty shortstop Jake Lazzaro also collected two hits and scored a run.
– Flames starter Nick Moran takes the loss. He gave up five runs on five hits over 2 2/3 innings.
– Liberty reliever Trey Carter pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief, striking out four.
– Max Rippl records the win for FGCU. The reliever pitched 1 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on three hits.
– FGCU hit five home runs in the contest.
Beyond the Box Score
– Hillier collected his fourth multi-hit game of the year. His home run was his second of 2023. The left fielder has reached base safely in 10 straight games.
– Troyer recorded his second three-hit and seventh multi-hit game of the year in the contest.
– For the second consecutive day, Guy had two hits. The center fielder now has five multi-hit games on the season.
– Liberty catcher Gray Betts singled in the contest. He has reached base safely in 12 consecutive games, the longest such streak by a Flame this season.
Liberty and FGCU will meet in the rubber game of their three-game series at Swanson Stadium tomorrow. The first pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m.
Featured in Main Photo: Three Hillier