No. 15 Liberty Edges Stetson 4-3 on Hillier’s Walk-off Single
Catcher Three Hilliers’ two-out, ninth-inning single propelled the No. 15 Liberty Flames past the Stetson Hatters 4-3, Friday evening at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
After the visiting Hatters scored two runs in the top of the ninth of the opening game of the three-game ASUN series, the Flames put runners on the corners with two outs on a single by designated hitter Brady Gulakowski. Hillier followed by lining 1-2 pitch back through the middle of the field to score right fielder Aaron Anderson and give Liberty a 4-3 victory.
Five Flames had two hits apiece in the game. Hillier was one of the five with two hits and he drove in two runs in the contest. Center fielder Derek Orndorff also had two hits, was hit by a pitch and scored twice in the game for Liberty.
Liberty improves to 15-5 overall and 3-1 in ASUN play. Stetson drops to 12-9 overall and 0-4 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Stetson (12-9, 0-4 ASUN); Liberty (15-5, 3-1 ASUN)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Cade Hungate (1-0) | LP: Austin Amaral (1-1)
1st INNING – STET – DiPonzio singles, Hill scores, 1-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hill doubles, Orndorff scores, 1-1
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Gulakowski singles, Lazzaro scores, 2-1
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Orndorff scores, 3-1
9th INNING – STET – Dessureault homers, 3-2
9th INNING – STET – Hill singles, Kehl scores, 3-3
9th INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Anderson scores, 4-3
– Liberty outhit Stetson, 13-9, in the contest. Neither team committed an error.
– The Flames left nine men on base. The Hatters left eight.
– Gulakowski, second baseman Cameron Foster and left fielder Nathan Keeter joined Orndorff and Hillier with two hits each in the game.
– Flames relievers Mason Fluharty retired all nine men he faced during his three innings of relief. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
– Liberty reliever Cade Hungate records the win. He allowed two runs on three hits in the ninth.
– Stetson reliever Austin Amaral takes the loss. He gave up one run on two hits in the ninth, retiring two batters.
– Hatters second baseman Yohann Dessureault hit his third home run of the season in the contest.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty moves to 11-0 when outhitting its opponent in 2022.
– Fluharty has not issued a base on balls in a team-high 10 appearances and 18 2/3 innings, this season.
– With two hits in the contest, Orndorff and Gulakowski each record their sixth multi-hit game, this season. Meanwhile, Hillier and Foster each collected their fifth multi-hit game of the year. Keener posted his fourth of 2022.
– Liberty right fielder Aaron Anderson doubled in the contest. He has now reached base safely in a team-high 19 consecutive games.
The Flames and Hatters are scheduled to meet in the middle game of the three-game ASUN series, tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.