No. 14 Liberty Tops Campbell 5-3
The No. 14 Liberty Flames scored five unanswered runs and then held off the Campbell Fighting Camels for a 5-3 victory, Sunday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
With the score tied 1-1 in the fifth, the Flames plated four runs to take a 5-1 lead, only to see the Camels close to within two and put runners at the corners with one out in the ninth. However, runner’s interference was called, resulting in a double play to seal the Liberty victory.
Catcher Gray Betts and second base Cam Foster each had two hits and scored a run for the Flames. Foster also had an RBI in the contest.
Liberty moves to 12-2 on the season. Campbell drops to 7-8.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Campbell (7-8); Liberty (12-2)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Mason Fluharty (2-0) | LP: Ty Cummings (1-1) | SV: Cade Hungate (5)
3rd INNING – CAM – Neto homers, 1-0
4th INNING – LIBERTY – Foster scores on wild pitch, 1-1
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Hill singles, Lazzaro scores, 2-1
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Anderson singles, Betts scores, 3-1
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Gulakowski doubles, Hill scores, 4-1
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Foster singles, Orndorff scores, 5-1
6th INNING – CAM – McPeak grounds out, Neto scores, 5-2
7th INNING – CAM – Neto singles, Arnold scores, 5-3
– Liberty outhit Campbell, 9-8 in the contest. The Flames made the game’s only error.
– The Flames left nine men on base. The Camels left seven men on base.
– Liberty’s six pitchers in the game combined to strike out 11 and walk two.
– Flames’ reliever Mason Fluharty records the victory. The left-hander allowed one run on two this over 1 2/3 innings. He struck out two.
– Cade Hungate records his fifth save of the season, pitching a scoreless ninth inning.
– Campbell reliever Ty Cummings, the second of four Camels to pitch in the game, takes the loss. He did not record an out, giving up four runs on four hits.
– Campbell shortstop Zach Neto led all hitters in the contest with three hits. He hit his third home run on the game.
With the score tied 1-1, Liberty plated four runs as the first seven batters of the fifth inning reached against Cummings. Shortstop Jake Lazzaro and Betts opened the home half of the inning with back-to-back singles. Third baseman Stephen Hill and right fielder Aaron Anderson followed with RBI singles to give the Flames a 3-1 lead. Designated hitter Brady Gulakowski then plated Hill with a double for a 4-1 advantage and Foster capped the scoring burst with a run-scoring single for a 5-1 lead.
Later in the top of the ninth, Campbell put runners at the corners with one out against reliever Liberty reliever Cade Hungate. The right-hander then got right fielder Connor Denning to ground into fielder’s choice. However, upon review of the play, Camels’ base runner Lawson Harrill was deemed to have interfered with Flames shortstop Lazzaro, resulting in a double play and ending the contest.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty and Campbell split the two-game series.
– The Flames finish their homestand with a 5-1 record and up their record to 9-1 at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
– Liberty has not lost back-to-back home games over its last 51 games at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
– The Flames move to 9-1 when its pitchers strike out 10 or more batters and 9-0 when they outhit their opponents.
– Betts collects his fifth multi-hit game of the season, while Foster picks up his third
Liberty travels to Richmond, Va., for a contest against the VCU Rams, Tuesday. Game time at the Diamond is scheduled for 3 p.m.