No. 13 Liberty Holds Lead After Day 1 of ASUN Championship
No. 13 Liberty fired an impressive 11-under par 273 during the first round of the 2021 ASUN Men's Golf Championship on Sunday to open up a seven-shot lead.
The Flames, the No. 1 seed in the conference championship event, posted their second lowest 18-hole team total of the 2021 season during their first trip around the University of Georgia Golf Course (par 71, 7,259 yard).
The only other team to break par during play on Sunday was No. 4 seed Jacksonville, who fired an opening round 4-under par 280.
Liberty had four of its starting five golfers post sub-70 rounds on Sunday. Jonathan Yaun paced the way for Liberty, carding a 4-under par 67, and is tied for third place.
The nine-team field will return to the University of Georgia Golf Course for the second round on Monday, starting at 8:30 a.m.
The Flames, along with golfers from second-place Jacksonville and third-place FGCU, will begin their rounds off the No. 1 tee (par 4, 466 Yards), starting at 10 a.m.
Round Recap – Liberty's Starting Five:
• No. 89 Jonathan Yaun – T3 4-under par 67 (67)
• No. 7 Kieran Vincent – T5 3-under par 68 (68)
• Ervin Chang – T7 2-under par 69 (69)
• Zach Barbin – T7 2-under par 69 (69)
• No. 42 Alexandre Fuchs – T23 3-over par 74 (74)
• While the Flames posted an 11-under par 273 on Sunday, the entire nine-team field played the University of Georgia's home course more than two strokes over par (73.58 scoring average).
• No. 18 North Florida, the defending conference champions, struggled to begin its title defense, carding a 5-over par 288. The Ospreys are currently in fifth place.
• Ten players in the 45-man field broke par on Sunday, with Liberty claiming four of the 10 spots on the under-par listing.
• Jacksonville's Michael Sakane currently leads the field after firing a 7-under par 64.
• Sakane set a new opening round championship record with his 7-under par score, besting the previous mark set in 2005.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
• Yaun, who is currently ranked No. 89 in the country, had a clean card on Sunday, recording four birdies and 14 pars.
• Yaun birdied all three of the par-5 holes, including a nice up-and-down from the front bunker at No. 17 (567 yards) for his fourth and final birdie of the day.
• Yaun's 4-under par 67 was his fourth sub-70 round of the season.
• Kieran Vincent, who is currently ranked No. 7 in the country, is one shot back of Yaun and is tied for fifth place following a 3-under par 68.
• A birdie by Vincent at the par-4, No. 9 hole (443 yards) allowed the redshirt junior to make the turn at level par.
• Vincent posted four birdies and a bogey over a five-hole stretch (No. 12 to No. 16) to quickly move up the leaderboard during the waning parts of his round.
• Ervin Chang and Zach Barbin both carded 2-under par rounds of 69 and are currently tied for seventh place.
• Chang, who had four birdies on the day, matched his second lowest 18-hole total of the spring season.
• Barbin, along with Kennesaw State's Brady Keran, led the field with 16 pars.
• Barbin matched his career low 18-hole total during the round, firing the same score he has carded two other times during his collegiate career (also in 2019 and 2020).
• Four of Liberty's five golfers (not including Barbin) were a part of Liberty's lineup at the 2019 NCAA Athens Regional played at this same course (May 13-15).
• The Flames finished the postseason event in fifth place, earning Liberty its second appearance in program history at the NCAA National Championship.
• University of Georgia Golf Couse (Athens, Ga.)
• Par 71, 7,259 yards
Following the Flames at ASUN Men's Golf Championship:
• Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com
• Twitter @LibertyGolf
• Instagram @LibertyGolf
• Round 2 Tee Time: Monday – 10 a.m.