No. 12 Liberty Uses High-Powered Attack to Down Georgetown 10-0
No. 12 Liberty used a high-powered offensive attack to down visiting Georgetown 10-0 in its BIG EAST Conference opener, Friday afternoon at the Liberty Field Hockey Field.
The Lady Flames improve to 4-2 overall and 1-0 in the BIG EAST. Liberty is 7-0 in BIG EAST openers all-time. Liberty made program history with today’s 10-goal effort. This is the first time in school history the Lady Flames have scored 10 or more goals in back-to-back games and also the most goals Liberty has ever scored in a BIG EAST game. Liberty downed Queens 11-0, last Sunday at home.
Georgetown slips to 3-4 overall and 0-1 in BIG EAST action. This is the second straight year the Hoyas have fallen to the Lady Flames in the league-opening game.
Seven different Liberty players scored in the match, led by two goals apiece from Lizzie Hamlett, Bethany Dykema and Charlotte Vaanhold. Jodie Conolly, Martu Cian, Emily Dykema and Mackinzie Thompson each scored as well.
All four of Liberty’s victories in 2022 have come in shutout fashion, with the Lady Flames outscoring their opposition 32-0 in those games.
16’ – LIBERTY – Lizzie Hamlett (Jodie Conolly) | Penalty Corner
26’ – LIBERTY – Lizzie Hamlett (unassisted)
28’ – LIBERTY – Bethany Dykema (Daniella Rhodes) | Penalty Corner
30’ – LIBERTY – Bethany Dykema (unassisted)
31’ – LIBERTY – Jodie Conolly (Bethany Dykema and Lizzie Hamlett) | Penalty Corner
37’ – LIBERTY – Martu Cian (Mackinzie Thompson)
37’ – LIBERTY – Charlotte Vaanhold (Daniella Rhodes)
47’ – LIBERTY – Charlotte Vaanhold (Lou Combrinck)
57’ – LIBERTY – Emily Dykema (Jodie Conolly) | Penalty Corner
60’ – LIBERTY – Mackinzie Thompson (Tori Griffiths)
W: Azul Iritxity Irigoyen 4-2, one save
L: Ciara Weets 3-4, 14 saves
After going scoreless in the opening frame despite earning four penalty corners and attempting six shots, Liberty broke through early in the second quarter within the first minute. Lizzie Hamlett tipped a Jodie Conolly offering into the middle of the circle into the top of the cage for a 1-0 home lead at the 15:59 mark.
Hamlett tacked on her second goal of the afternoon and fifth of the season on a rebound effort in the 26th minute, making it a 2-0 lead. The Lady Flames added two more goals before intermission, both coming from Bethany Dykema (27:44 and 29:33 marks, for a 4-0 halftime advantage.
Liberty scored six times in the final 30 minutes, its most goals in a second half this year. The Lady Flames’ 10th goal came with 37 seconds left (59:23), with Mackinzie Thompson scoring on an open net. Freshman Tori Griffiths recorded her first career assist on Thompson’s second goal of the season.
Key Stats & Notes
• The Lady Flames outshot the Hoyas 33-1 today and held a 24-1 edge in shots on cage. Liberty matched a season best with 12 penalty corners. The Lady Flames’ 33 total shots are the sixth most in a game in program history.
• Liberty’s 29 total points (10 g, 9 a) are the third most in a game in school history.
• Hamlett, Bethany Dykema and Charlotte Vaanhold each recorded their second multiple-goal games of the year.
• Daniella Rhodes and Conolly paced the squad with two assists apiece.
• The Lady Flames improve to 9-0 all-time versus the Hoyas, including a 6-0 BIG EAST record. Liberty has outscored Georgetown 32-2 in six all-time conference matchups.
• Emily Dykema scored for the second straight game, this time scoring on a short corner in the closing minutes (57th minute). The junior defender scored her first career goal on Sunday versus Queens.
• Goalkeeper Azul Iritxity Irigoyen made one save in earning her second shutout of the season. Iritxity Irigoyen ranks second in program history with 11 career clean sheets.
Liberty will travel to No. 25 James Madison (3-3) for a Sunday afternoon contest against the Dukes. Game time is 1 p.m. at the JMU Field Hockey Complex in Harrisonburg, Va.
Liberty is 3-2 all-time versus JMU. The Lady Flames and Dukes last squared off in the 2019 season opener, a 5-1 Liberty home triumph.