No. 12 Lady Flames to Face Hoyas, No. 25 Dukes
Live Stats: Liberty vs. Georgetown
Live Video: Liberty vs. Georgetown (ESPN+)
Live Stats: Liberty at James Madison
Live Video: Liberty at James Madison (ESPN+)
Liberty Field Hockey Twitter (in-game updates)
Liberty Field Hockey Instagram
Liberty Field Hockey Facebook
BIG EAST Field Hockey Home Page
The 12th-ranked Lady Flames field hockey team is set to face the Georgetown Hoyas (home) and No. 25 James Madison Dukes (away), Friday and Sunday.
Liberty (3-2) will welcome Georgetown (3-3) to campus for both team’s BIG EAST opener, Friday afternoon at the Liberty Field Hockey Field. Match time is 3 p.m.
On Sunday, the Lady Flames will head to Harrisonburg, Va. for an afternoon non-conference contest against Commonwealth foe JMU (3-3). Game time is 1 p.m. at the JMU Field Hockey Complex.
Liberty is 8-0 all-time against Georgetown, including a perfect 5-0 mark in BIG EAST play. The Lady Flames topped the Hoyas 5-1 in the most recent meeting during the fall 2021 season. In five all-time BIG EAST games, Liberty has outscored Georgetown by a combined 22-2.
Liberty has won three of the five all-time meetings with JMU. The Lady Flames and Dukes last squared off in the 2019 season opener, a 5-1 Liberty home triumph.
Lady Flames News and Notes
• The Lady Flames are coming off a 1-1 weekend in which they fell 3-0 at No. 1 Northwestern and defeated Queens 11-0 at home. Georgetown topped Saint Francis (Pa.) 1-0 in their most recent action, last Sunday. JMU, who entered the national rankings for the first time in 2022 this week, bested Bellarmine 3-0 on Saturday.
• Liberty is 6-0 all-time in BIG EAST Conference openers, outscoring its opposition 28-3 in those games. Two of the Lady Flames’ six BIG EAST openers have been contested at the Liberty Field Hockey Field.
• The Lady Flames were picked to finish first in the 2022 BIG EAST Field Hockey Preseason Coaches’ Poll. This is the first time in school history Liberty has been selected to win the league. The Lady Flames were tabbed to finish second in the conference in each of their six seasons in the league (2016-21).
• Sophomore forward Martu Cian garnered BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll distinction from the conference office, Tuesday afternoon. The Buenos Aires, Argentina native set a new career high and matched a program record with four goals in the Lady Flames’ win over Queens.
Cian’s nine-point effort is also tied for the second most points in a game in school history.
• Liberty is among the top 10 teams in the country in seven statistical categories: goals per game (No. 2, 4.40), scoring margin (No. 2, 3.49), points per game (No. 3, 12.20), shutouts per game (No. 3, 0.60), scoring average (No. 4, 4.27), goals-against-average (No. 5, 0.78) and assists per game (No. 7, 3.40).
• Junior goalkeeper Azul Iritxity Irigoyen is No. 9 nationally in goals-against-average (0.89). Senior forward Daniella Rhodes is 10th in the country in goals per game (1.00) and 11th in points per game (2.40).
• Liberty dropped one spot to No. 12 in this week’s Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I National Coaches Poll. The Lady Flames have been listed among the top 15 teams in the nation in 21 straight polls. The last time Liberty was not listed in the top 15 was when it finished the 2019 campaign ranked No. 19 in the country (Nov. 12, 2019).
• Beginning with No. 25 James Madison, six of Liberty’s remaining 12 regular season opponents are currently nationally ranked. The others include No. 2 North Carolina (Oct. 2, home), No. 4 Louisville, No. 9 Virginia (Oct. 18, home), No. 11 Connecticut (Sept. 23, away) and No. 14 Old Dominion (Oct. 28, away).