No. 11 North Carolina Downs Liberty
The 11th-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels scored seven runs in the third inning on their way to a 11-5 victory over the Liberty Flames, Tuesday evening at Boshamer Stadium.
Third baseman Ashton McGee's grand slam highlighted the third-inning outburst for the Tar Heels.
Liberty plated five runs in the sixth inning close the gap, after North Carolina raced out to a 9-0 advantage over the first five innings.
Shortstop Cam Locklear had two hits with a RBI and a run scored to lead the Flames.
Liberty falls 30-14 overall. The Flames have lost three straight contests. North Carolina moves to 34-12.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (30-14); North Carolina (34-12)
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C. (Boshamer Stadium)
WP: Connor Ollio (2-1) | LP: Mason Meyer (5-4) | SV: Austin Love (5)
UNC – 1st INNING – Serretti doubles, Busch and Enwiller score, 2-0
UNC – 3rd INNING – Harris lines out, Sabato scores, 3-0
UNC – 3rd INNING – McGee homers, Moranto, Freeman and Serretti score, 7-0
UNC – 3rd INNING – Sabato doubles, Busch and Enwiller score, 9-0
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Locklear singles, Highfill scores, 9-1
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Mathieu walks, Wagner scores, 9-2
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Betts walks, Locklear scores, 9-3
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Galazin doubles, Mathieu and Rohrer scores, 9-5
UNC – 7th INNING – Sabato doubles, Busch and Enwiller score, 11-5
– North Carolina collected 11 hits in the contest, while Liberty had seven. Neither team committed an error.
– Four of the Flames' seven hits came during their five-run sixth inning.
– Liberty's five pitchers in the contest walked nine and struck out six.
– North Carolina pitcher Connor Ollio held the Flames to one hit over the first five innings. The right-hander ended up allowing three runs on four hits over a career-high 5 2/3 innings.
– McGee's grand slam was his third home run of the season.
– Tar Heels designated hitter Aaron Sabato and second baseman Dylan Enwiller led all hitters in the game with three hits. All three of Sabato's hits were doubles, driving in four runs.
Up 2-0, the Tar Heels sent 11 men to the plate in the bottom of the third inning, scoring seven runs. Three of North Carolina's four hits in the inning were for extra bases, as designated hitter Sabato doubled twice in the frame and McGee belted a grand slam.
Beyond the Box Score
– The Flames have dropped three consecutive contests for the first time this season.
– Liberty and North Carolina split their two contests this season. Earlier in the year, the Flames shut out the Tar Heels 2-0 at Liberty Baseball Stadium on March 13.
– Locklear has collected two or more hits in three of his last four games and seven of his last 11 contests. The junior has 12 multi-hit games this season.
– Left fielder Gray Betts extended his hitting streak to a career high 10 games with a single in the ninth inning. In addition, the freshman has reached base safely in 19 consecutive contests.
– Jonathan Embry saw his reached base safely streak come to an end at 19 games in the contest, a season-high for the catcher.
Liberty returns to ASUN Conference play, this weekend. The Flames travel to Kennesaw, Ga., for a three-game series against the Kennesaw State Owls. The series gets underway Friday at Stillwell Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.