No. 1 Seed Liberty Earns Spirited 3-2 Win at No. 4 Seed Lipscomb, Advances to ASUN Final
For the second night in a row, No. 1 seed Liberty rallied for a five-set win, this time overcoming a 2-1 deficit to down the host, fourth-seeded Lipscomb Bisons 3-2 (17-25, 25-16, 24-26, 25-20, 15-13) to advance to the ASUN Volleyball Championship title match at Allen Arena.
The Lady Flames (23-7) earned their 12th win in a row, one night after rallying from a 2-1 deficit and fighting off three match points to defeat No. 8 seed Stetson. Lipscomb sees its season end at 16-13.
Liberty will take on No. 2 seed FGCU tomorrow at 8 p.m. Eastern Time, with the winner claiming the 2022 ASUN Volleyball Championship title and the conference’s automatic berth into the 2022 NCAA Division I Volleyball Championship.
• After Lipscomb took a 2-1 match lead with a 26-24 set-three win, the Bisons jumped out to a 9-4 advantage in set four. However, the Lady Flames quickly went on a 6-0 run, scoring five of those points on Kate Phillips’ serve. Liberty carried that momentum for the rest of the set, winning 25-20.
• Liberty earned an 8-7 lead heading into the court change in set five, but Lipscomb later reeled off three straight points before a service error tied it at 10-all. Kamryn Bacus scored a pair of kills during a 4-0 Liberty run, and the Lady Flames gained match point at 14-12 on a Madison Blane kill. After a Lipscomb sideout, Liberty’s Kamryn Bacus and Lydia Burts provided the match-clinching block.
• Liberty outhit Lipscomb .257-.192 for the match. The Lady Flames led in kills (63-56) and digs (68-47), while both teams posted 12 blocks. The Bisons served up eight aces and 13 errors, while Liberty recorded four aces and nine service errors.
• Kamryn Bacus scored a career-high 23 kills, adding nine digs and four blocks. Delaney Dilfer totaled 52 assists, two aces and 18 digs. Kate Phillips registered a double-double with 17 kills and 10 digs, while Erica Lowery collected a match-high 20 digs. Lydia Burts recorded eight kills and six blocks, while Madison Blane posted five rejections.
• Caroline Stogner paced Lipscomb with 15 kills, while Logan Gish scored 14 kills. Berkley Mishler contributed 11 kills, while Sophia Hudepohl fashioned a double-double with 43 assists and 11 digs. Delaney Smith collected 18 digs, while Kailee Bass and Addi Pelham posted seven blocks each.
• Liberty is now 3-6 all-time against Lipscomb, including 2-0 this season and 1-0 in ASUN Tournament play.
• Liberty is making its first-ever appearance in the ASUN final, and first conference tournament final appearance since winning its seventh Big South Tournament title in 2012.
• Dilfer’s 17 double-doubles this year are the most by a Lady Flame since 2007, when Jessica Nelson had 19 double-doubles and Kallie Corbin, 18.
• Dilfer’s 1,290 assists this season are the most by a Lady Flame in a single season under the current 25-point rally-scoring system.
• Liberty’s current 12-match winning streak is its longest under current Head Coach Trevor Johnson and longest since winning 13 in a row, Sept. 20 through Oct. 25, 2014.
• Bacus’ 23 kills are the most by a Lady Flame in a conference tournament match since Leah Clayton had 26 kills against High Point in the 2016 Big South semifinal.
• Bacus and Dilfer played the last two years for Lipscomb, helping the Bisons win the Spring 2021 ASUN Volleyball Championship title with a 3-2 win over FGCU in the final.
Liberty will take on No. 2 seed FGCU tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the ASUN Volleyball Championship title match. The Lady Flames defeated the Eagles 3-1 on Oct. 22 in Fort Myers, the teams’ lone meeting so far this season.