McGhee’s Record Night Highlights Liberty’s Win Over Stetson
Liberty’s Darius McGhee set a pair of records Saturday night at Liberty Arena as the Flames got back on the winning track, defeating Stetson 88-82. McGhee set the ASUN record for most three-pointers made in a season with 123 three-pointers and scored 39 points against the Hatters, the most points ever scored by an individual in a game at Liberty Arena.
The first 20 minutes of the game featured seven lead changes highlighted by two players as Liberty’s Darius McGhee (21 points) and Stetson’s Chase Johnston (18 points) combined to scored 39 of the 73 points scored in the first half. Liberty took advantage of the three-point shot, making seven three-pointers while limiting the Hatters to four makes from beyond the arc. Liberty’s defense was able to tighten up in the final seven minutes, holding the Hatters to just eight points during that span, as Liberty went into the break with a 40-33 lead.
Stetson quickly started the half on a 5-0 run to make it a one-possession game (40-38) but Liberty would quickly respond with an 11-2 run to push its lead to double digits. Stetson’s Christiaan Jones kept the Hatters in the ball game, scoring 15 second half points. Stetson was able to cut Liberty’s lead to two points (79-77) with two minutes left in the game and take the lead (81-80) with 1:26 left in the game. From that point on, Liberty would close out the game on a 9-1 run with McGhee scoring seven of Liberty’s nine points. The Flames would go 2-2 from the field and 4-5 from the free-throw line in the final minute and 26 seconds to secure the win.
Key Stats & Notes
- Darius McGhee set the ASUN record for most three-pointers made in a season as he now has 123 three-pointers this season. The previous record was 117 three-pointers.
- McGhee’s 39 points is the most points ever scored by an individual at Liberty Arena in a single game.
- Along with 39 points, McGhee recorded nine rebounds and six assists.
- Kyle Rode filled the stat sheet with 13 points, nine assists and five rebounds.
- Liberty shot 47 percent from three-point range with five players making a three-pointer.
- Liberty had three players score double figures in McGhee (39 points), Keegan McDowell (15 points) and Rode (13 points).
Thoughts from Head Coach Ritchie McKay
“Hats off to our crowd; that place (Liberty Arena) got loud at the end. Stetson, I thought played a terrific game. They have two really good guards in Chase (Johnston) and Christiaan (Jones), they played terrific. I know a lot of people will worry about the stats. We have some concerns, and we have some things to improve upon, but I am happy about the outcome and the way our guys finished.”
Liberty will play its final away game of the regular season on Monday, Feb. 21, when the Flames face Central Arkansas. 8 p.m. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN+.