McGhee Sets School Record for Career Three-Pointers in Win Over Carver College
Liberty won its 41st straight game at home as the Flames defeated Carver College, 95-36, Monday night at Liberty Arena. Liberty improves to 6-4 on the season. Liberty’s Darius McGhee broke the school record for most career three-pointers made, breaking Ryan Kemrite’s record as McGhee now has 260 career three-pointers.
Liberty would start the game on a 20-2 run, sparked by Darius McGhee scoring 11 of the 20 points. Liberty did an excellent job of sharing the ball on offense in the first 20 minutes, recording 11 assists off 18 made field goals. McGhee would score 20 points in the first half as the Flames shot 58 percent in the half, taking a 48-21 lead at the break.
Liberty continued to dominate the game, going on a 19-3 run within the first nine minutes of the second half. Liberty dominated the paint in the second half, outscoring Carver 32-4 inside the paint. Liberty’s bench remain effective all throughout the game, as Abii led the bench with eight points in the second half, as the Flames cruised to the 95-36 victory.
Key Stats & Notes
- Darius McGhee now holds the program record for career three-pointers made with 260 career makes.
- McGhee scored a game-high 23 points, recording his 17th career 20-point game.
- DJ Moore scored a season-high nine points.
- Liberty outscored Carver College 52-14 inside the paint.
- Liberty’s bench outscored Carver’s bench 43-10.
- Kyle Rode posted a game-high six assists.
- Micaiah Abii and Shiloh Robinson each scored 10 points.
- Stephen Burggraf scored a career-high six points.
Thoughts from Head Coach Ritchie McKay
“What I really enjoyed was our group’s connectivity. I thought it was really evident tonight; really selfless and especially excited about the guy on my right (Stephen Burggraf) he got in there and he played like he was a four-year veteran. I am happy because Stephen Burggraf does so much for our program and he never asks for any credit, never wants the attention on himself, great servant and a local fan-favorite so happy that he got his career-high tonight.”
Liberty will begin its four-game road trip away from Liberty Arena, as the Flames will travel to Charlotte, N.C. to face East Carolina in the Naismith Hall of Fame Shootout. Tipoff is set for 1:30 p.m. on Friday and can be seen on ESPN+.