MBB Game Day: Grambling State
Live Video (ESPN+)
Live Audio (LFSN Radio)
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty Men’s Basketball Instagram
Liberty Men’s Basketball Twitter
Liberty Men’s Basketball Facebook
Grambling State Men’s Basketball Webpage
ASUN Men’s Basketball Webpage
TV Coverage: ESPN+
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Matt Warner
Color Analyst: Paul Nazigian
Sideline Reporter: Emily Austen
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
LFSN Radio (107.5 FM Lynchburg)
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Nick Pierce
Color Analyst: Anthony Smith
Liberty’s Top Storylines
• This is the first meeting between the two programs.
• Darius McGhee has 415 career three-pointers and is one of two active Division I players with 400 or more threes. McGhee hit his 400th career three-pointer against UMES and is one of 22 players in Division I history with 400+ triples. He is currently 15th all-time with 415 threes. He passed Stephen Curry (15th place all-time, 414 threes, 2007-09 at Davidson) with his five triples on Saturday vs. Bryant at the Hall of Fame Classic and was named MVP of that game
• Liberty is No. 5 in the country in three-pointers per game (11.5). The Flames are also 10th nationally in effective field goal percentage (.580) and 10th in assists per game (18.5).
• McGhee enters the week ranked first in the nation in both three-point field goals per game (4.45) and total three-pointers made (49). He has a current streak of nine straight games with 20 or more points. The longest streak of 20+ games McGhee has in his career is 10 games, set last year in the final 10 contests.
• McKay and the Flames are 111-32 over the last five years (2018-19 through first 11 games of this year) for a .776 winning percentage.
• This is Liberty’s final non-conference game vs. a D1 team.
• Liberty and Grambling State feature two of the stronger defenses in the country so far this season. The Flames are 48th nationally in scoring defense (62.6 ppg), and the Tigers are 64th at 63.4 ppg. As a result, Liberty is No. 52 in the country in scoring margin (13.1). The Tigers are 23rd in the country in field goal percentage defense (38.2 percent).
• The Flames (7-4) are 8-1 all-time against foes from the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) and 8-0 under Coach McKay. Liberty bested Bethune-Cookman 59-51 on the road last season (Nov. 23, 2021). Darius McGhee led all scorers with 27 points. Grambling State (6-4) is the only team in the SWAC at present with an above .500 record so far during the 2022-23 season. The Tigers have impressive wins over Colorado and Vanderbilt.
Main Photo at Top of Story: No. 0 Colin Porter