Marques Da Silva, Wilson Reach Quarterfinals on Sunday at ITA Atlantic Regional
A pair of Flames – Rafael Marques Da Silva and Josh Wilson – reached the quarterfinals of the Gold singles draw (main draw), Sunday on the fifth day of the ITA Atlantic Regional at the Virginia Tennis Facility.
The Flames finished a collective 3-3 in singles today. In five days at the event, the Flames finished with an 11-10 singles record and 4-4 doubles mark. Liberty’s time at the ITA Atlantic Regional has come to an end.
Thoughts From Head Coach Derek Schwandt
“We competed hard and learned some valuable lessons from this tournament. We are thankful to represent Liberty against the region’s best.”
Key Stats & Notes
• Marques Da Silva punched his ticket to the quarterfinals with a hard-fought three-set victory over the VCU Rams’ Matisse Bobichon in which two of the sets went to tiebreakers. The Liberty junior dropped the opening set 7-6 (2), bounced back to win the second 6-2 and fought past Bobichon in the third, 7-6 (6), for the 6-7 (2), 6-2, 7-6 (6) win.
• Marques Da Silva met No. 55 Ryan Fishback of Virginia Tech, the No. 4 seed, in the elite eight. Fishback took the match 6-3, 6-3. Marques Da Silva finishes with a 2-1 mark in the main draw.
• Wilson, who set a new program record yesterday with his 78th career singles win, bested VCU’s Rayane Stable in two sets, 7-5, 6-4, this morning in the round of 16 for victory No. 79 in his career.
• Wilson, the No. 8 seed, faced No. 1 seed Inaki Montes de la Torre of Virginia, the No. 4-ranked player in the nation, in the quarterfinals. The UVA junior topped Wilson in straight sets (6-0, 6-2).
• Liberty’s Beau Pelletier played a consolation match against Penn State’s Sam Bossem. Pelletier picked up a 6-1, 6-2 victory.
• The Flames’ Christiaan Worst competed in a backdraw contest as well versus Holden Koons of James Madison. Koons came back to defeat Worst 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3).
Liberty’s time at the regional has come to a close after five days. The sixth and final day of competition will begin tomorrow at 10 a.m.
Monday – 10 a.m. start – Semifinals and Final Rounds of Gold Singles, Final Round of Gold Doubles