Longwe-Smit Captures Gold Singles Title, Sunday at Elon Invite
Liberty Flames redshirt junior Thando Longwe-Smit capped off a perfect 4-0 weekend by winning the Gold singles draw championship match, Sunday at the Elon Invite.
Longwe-Smit topped Radford’s Dinos Raptis in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4. The Cape Town, South Africa native won all four of his singles contest this weekend in straight sets at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
Key Stats & Notes
• Longwe-Smit went 3-0 at last weekend’s Penn Invitational and is now 7-0 in singles so far this fall.
• The Flames’ Zion Heaven and Deji Thomas-Smith (Maroon doubles flight) won their backdraw championship match by a 6-3 score over Elon’s Daniel Martin and Ben Zipay. The Liberty pairing finished with a 2-1 record in its three matches.
• Thomas-Smith faced Martin in the singles backdraw final of the Maroon draw. Martin prevailed 6-0, 6-4. Thomas-Smith finishes the tournament with a 2-2 singles record and is 4-3 in two fall events.
• In three days of competition, Liberty’s three competitors finished with a 7-3 combined singles record and 2-3 doubles mark.
• Heaven did not compete in singles today but finished the weekend with a 1-1 mark. The Ewa Beach, Hawaii native is 4-1 in singles, this fall.
The Flames will be back in action at the ITA All-American Championships, held Oct. 1-9 in Tulsa, Okla. The nine-day event will be held at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center at Tulsa and at the Case Tennis Center at LaFortune Park in Tulsa, Okla.