Liberty’s Heaven Reaches Singles Qualifying Final on Day 3 of Regional
Liberty Flames men’s tennis senior Zion Heaven reached the Silver singles (qualifying) draw final on day three of the ITA Atlantic Regional, Friday.
Heaven won his first match of the day in the qualifying draw. The Ewa Beach, Hawaii native was looking to become one of eight competitors to advance through qualifying and into the main draw. The Liberty senior dropped that match, falling just short of the main draw.
Meanwhile, Heaven’s teammate Thando Longwe-Smit won a consolation match in the Silver singles draw. Liberty’s Deji Thomas-Smith, who won his first qualifying match yesterday, lost his second round Silver singles qualifying contest.
Liberty posted a 2-1 singles record today, with each match being held at the Virginia Tennis Facility at Boar’s Head Resort and at the indoor courts at Boar’s Head. The Flames are 4-3 through three days of action at the event. The Flames have not competed in doubles yet. All four Liberty doubles units will be in action on day four (Saturday).
Key Stats & Notes
• Heaven’s victory today in round two of qualifying came over Old Dominion’s Brandon Perez, 6-4, 6-2, his sixth fall triumph.
• Playing for a spot in the main draw, Heaven took a one-set lead over Georgetown’s Arthur O’Sullivan. The Hoyas freshman came back to take the match, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3.
• After suffering a three-set loss yesterday in the first round of the Silver singles (qualifying) draw, Liberty’s Longwe-Smit bounced back in the consolation draw against Temple’s Thibault Frumholz. The Flames redshirt junior erased a one-set deficit to for a 2-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (10-6) victory. Longwe-Smit bolsters his fall singles record to 8-1.
• The Flames’ Thomas-Smith’s setback today came versus Delaware’s Luis Molina, 6-3, 6-3.
• Liberty’s Josh Wilson, Rafael Marques Da Silva, Christiaan Worst and Beau Pelletier will all begin competing on Saturday.
Day four of the ITA Atlantic Regional will begin at 10 a.m.
Saturday – 10 a.m. start – Round of 32 Gold Singles, Rounds of 32 and 16 Gold Doubles and one round of Doubles Consolation for first match losers of Gold Doubles
Sunday – 9 or 10 a.m. start – Round of 16 and Quarterfinals of Gold Singles, one round of Consolation for first match losers of Gold Draw (played indoors), Quarterfinal and Semifinal Rounds of Gold Doubles
Monday – 9 or 10 a.m. start – Semifinals and Final Rounds of Gold Singles, Final Round of Gold Doubles