Liberty Wins 6 Singles Matches on Last Day in Charlotte
Liberty picked up six singles victories on the last day of the 49er Invite on Sunday at the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex.
The Lady Flames’ seven wins gives them 15 total singles wins for the tournament against only eight losses. Liberty posted a 6-6 doubles mark on Friday.
Key Stats & Notes
• Liberty sophomore captain Esther Lovato finished up a 3-0 singles weekend by winning a pair of three-set matches on Sunday. Lovato and South Carolina’s Chloe Narboni had to resume their match from Saturday evening on Sunday morning after the two split sets. Lovato edged Narboni 11-9 in the third set 10-point tiebreaker for a 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (11-9) triumph.
• Lovato’s second three-set win came against Dariya Radulova of Virginia Tech, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4).
• In the early morning singles session, the Lady Flames’ Eloise Saraty, Willa Rogers and Maretha Burger all collected three-set wins. Saraty edged Long Island’s Sofia Kuzina 4-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-6), while Rogers topped South Carolina’s Lindsay Tulenko 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6). Burger defeated Kendall Couch of the Gamecocks 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3).
• The Lady Flames won three matches in the final session of the event versus their Virginia Tech counterparts.
• Freshman Maria Juliana Parra Romero accounted for one of those triumphs, as she upended Charlotte Cartledge in consecutive sets, 6-4, 7-5. Parra Romero finished the weekend 2-1 in singles and is 8-1 this fall.
• Liberty’s other win against the Hokies was from Micaela Ode Mitre, 6-4, 7-5 over Annie Clark.
Liberty will return to action for the ITA Atlantic Super Regional, Oct. 22-25 at Virginia. The Lady Flames’ Esther Lovato and Maria Juliana Parra Romero qualified for the event and will represent Liberty at it.