Liberty Wins 3 Matches on Second Day of Regional
Liberty won four total matches, three singles and one doubles contest, during the second day of ITA Atlantic Regional action at the Liberty Tennis Complex.
In Saturday’s singles session, Maria Juliana Parra Romero picked up a straight-sets decision (6-3, 6-1) versus William & Mary’s Lisa Fukutoku in the round of 32.
Parra Romero, the No. 8 seed, is the lone Lady Flame remaining in the singles main draw and will take on Emily Dunbar of Richmond in the round of 16. The winner of that match will earn a spot at the ITA Atlantic Super Regional, held Oct. 22-25 at Virginia.
Liberty’s seeded doubles pairing, No. 4 seed Parra Romero and Micaela Ode Mitre, claimed victory in their round of 16 doubles match on Saturday morning. The duo topped William & Mary’s Lisa Fukutoku and Kensie Cricchio 6-3.
Liberty sophomore Micaela Ode Mitre earned a victory in a consolation singles match on Saturday.
Key Stats & Notes
• In her singles match with Fukutoku, Parra Romero trailed 3-0 in the opening set. The Liberty freshman rallied to win the next 10 games and went on to win the match, 6-3, 6-1.
• Parra Romero and Ode Mitre will move on to face No. 5 seed Gabriela Davidescu and Shivani Manjanna of VCU in the doubles quarterfinals, Sunday at 8:30 a.m. The winner of that match will earn a spot in the ITA Atlantic Super Regional.
• Ode Mitre of Liberty topped James Madison’s Michelle Los Arcos in consecutive sets (7-5, 6-1) on court one of the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center.
• Sophomore Tiffany Nguyen was edged by No. 9 seed Kendall Kovick of West Virginia in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, in the round of 32. Nguyen is 1-1 in singles at the event.
• In two days of competition, Liberty holds a combined 8-6 record in its matches. The Lady Flames are 3-1 in doubles and 5-5 in singles.
The third day of the ITA Atlantic Regional will commence on Sunday at 8:30 a.m. with the doubles quarterfinals.
Sunday, Oct. 3 | 8:30 a.m. start
Singles Round of 16