Liberty Visits Old Dominion for Midweek Contest, Wednesday
LIBERTY at OLD DOMINION
Bud Metheny Baseball Stadium
Wednesday – 6 p.m.
LFSN Video Coverage: ESPN+
LFSN Radio Coverage: LFSN Radio Online Audio
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
• For the first time since 2016, Liberty will travel to Norfolk, Va., to face the Old Dominion Monarchs, Wednesday. It will be the first time the two teams have met during Flames’ Head Coach Scott Jackson’s tenure.
• On the weekend, Liberty will square off with the Austin Peay Governors in the first ASUN series at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium this season. The Flames and Governors have never met on the baseball diamond.
• The Flames have played nine of their 10 games against teams ranked in the D1Baseball.com Top 25 on the road in 2023. Liberty has posted a 4-9 mark in road contests. Meanwhile, Liberty is 4-1 at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium this season.
• Head Coach Scott Jackson is in his seventh season at Liberty. Jackson has led the Flames to a 203-127 record and three NCAA Regional appearances, the most of any coach in program history.
Betts Closes In on Top 10
• A two-time ASUN All-Conference catcher, senior Gray Betts has already etched his name in the Liberty record book and is on the verge of entering the program’s top 10 in several others.
• This past Saturday, he became one of 10 Flames since 2005 to play in over 200 games. The catcher has now played in 202 games during his Liberty career.
• Already, one of 23 Flames in program history with 200 or more hits and is second on Liberty’s all-time walks list with 123 career walks
To Move into the Top 10
• With 10 more hits, he will move to move into the Top 10 (tie for 10th) – Currently: 227
• Three runs scored shy of moving into the Top 10 (tie for ninth) – Currently: 150
• Six doubles from joining Top 10 – Currently: 41
Horn Amongst ASUN Leaders
• Left-hander Garrett Horn is back among the ASUN Conference leaders heading into the weekend.
• Currently, Horn is third in the ASUN with a 1.64 ERA and in five starts, Horn has allowed an average of 4.5 hits per nine innings to lead the conference.
• The sophomore is also ninth in the conference with 31 strikeouts and is second in the ASUN with an average of 12.68 strikeouts per nine innings.
• Horn was named a Freshman All-American and to the ASUN All-Conference team last season. In 13 appearances and seven starts, he went 6-1 with 80 strikeouts and 24 walks. He held opponents to a .167 batting average. He posted a 1.93 ERA over 51 1/3 innings, the best ERA of any freshman and the fifth lowest all-time in a season in program history.
Around the Diamond
• Catcher Gray Betts has hit .351 over the last 10 games and now leads the Flames with a .315 batting average for the season. In addition, his season on base percentage of .398 leads Liberty. This past Saturday, the senior became the 10th Liberty player since 2005 to play in over 200 games and enters the week having played in 202 career games.
• Brayden Horton has started the last four games at first base. The freshman posted his first three-hit game of his career and drove in four runs in Liberty’s 9-7 win at No. 20 FGCU on Friday. He also hit his first collegiate home run at FGCU on Sunday.
• Shortstop Jake Lazzaro enters the week with a .380 on base percentage and has posted six multi-hit games.
• Third baseman Cam Foster walked four times and scored a career-high four times in the Flames’ 9-7 win over FGCU on Friday.
• Left fielder Three Hiller hit .313 with two doubles, a home run and six RBI in four games last week. The junior hit his second home run of the season at FGCU on Saturday.
• Center fielder Jaylen Guy has been Liberty’s hottest hitter over the last 10 games, posting a .353 average. Of the junior’s 12 hits, six were for extra bases, as he had five doubles and a triple during the span.
• Right fielder Camden Troyer leads the Flames with 14 RBI and 14 runs scored.
• DH Victor Castillo has had a hit in three of the last four games and has reached base safely in four consecutive games.
• On Friday, pitcher Cole Hertzler recorded his second save of the season in Liberty’s 9-7 win over No. 20 FGCU. The right-hander did not allow a baserunner, retiring all seven batters he faced over the final 2 1/3 innings, striking out four.
Featured in Main Photo: Jaylen Guy