Liberty Tops Campbell 142.5-118.5
Liberty wrapped up its season-opening trip to North Carolina by defeating Campbell 142.5-118.5 on Saturday at the Johnson Aquatic Center.
Liberty (2-0, 2-0 CCSA) defeated both UNC Asheville (162-127 last night in Asheville, N.C.) and Campbell to open the season at 2-0. The Camels fall to 0-1-1 both overall and in conference dual meets.
Liberty Event Winners
• 200 medley relay – 1:46.75 (Payton Keiner (27.08), Heather Gardner (29.53), Shelby Haines (25.61), Sydney Houtz (24.53))
• So. Eva Suggs – 500 freestyle (5:16.61)
• Sr. Lindsey Cohee – 200 butterfly (2:04.91); 100 butterfly (57.13)
• Sr. Payton Keiner – 100 backstroke (56.97); 200 backstroke (2:03.58)
• Fr. Heather Gardner – 100 breaststroke (1:06.88)
• Fr. Chloe Harris – 400 IM (4:34.62)
• The Lady Flames continued their success in conference dual meets, winning their 23rd CCSA dual meet in a row.
• Liberty won eight events (seven individual, one relay), while Campbell claimed six events (five individual, one relay).
• Liberty's Payton Keiner (100 back, 200 back) and Lindsey Cohee (100 fly, 200 fly) both won two individual events for the Lady Flames, while Campbell's Colleen Renshaw claimed the 50 free and 100 free. Both of Cohee's wins came in season-best time. Keiner now has one win each in the 50 free, 100 back and 200 back so far this season.
• Liberty took 1-2 finishes in the 100 breaststroke (Heather Gardner, Jamyson Robb), 100 fly (Lindsey Cohee, Chloe Harris) and 200 backstroke (Payton Keiner, Emma Hazel).
• Freshman Heather Gardner won the 100 breaststroke, good for her first collegiate victory, while classmate Chloe Harris won the 400 IM for the second day in a row.
• Campbell's Annie Sanchez (1:54.60) edged out Liberty's Emma Hazel (1:54.74), while Gardner's 100 breaststroke victory came just 0.12 before teammate Jamyson Robb touched the wall (1:06.88 to 1:07.00).
• The top three in the 100 free were separated by just 0.04 seconds (Renshaw – 53.23; Campbell's Annie Sanchez and Liberty's Hannah Huenefeld – 53.27). Campbell freshman Maria Kristjansdottir held off a late-charging Jessica Schellenboom in the 200 breaststroke (2:24.75 to 2:25.04).
• Harris' 2:08.45 today is good for eighth in program history in the 200 fly.
• Liberty is 16-2 all-time against Campbell in swimming & diving, with the Lady Flames winning each of the last 15 meetings. Campbell is Liberty's most-frequent opponent in program history.
• The Lady Flames are now 38-4 all-time when competing in North Carolina, having won 37 straight dual meets in the Tar Heel State.
Liberty will host the TYR '85 Invite, Nov. 20-22 at Liberty Natatorium. Please check back to LibertyFlames.com for the latest schedule updates.