Liberty Tops Bellarmine to Take Game 1 of ASUN Quarterfinal Series 5-2
The No.1 North seed Liberty Flames defeated the No. 4 North seed Bellarmine Knights 5-2 in the first game of the best-of-three ASUN Quarterfinal series between the two teams, Friday evening at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. With the win, the Flames take a 1-0 lead in the series.
ASUN All-Conference second baseman Will Wagner collected three hits, including two ground-rule doubles, knocked in two runs and scored twice for Liberty in the contest. ASUN All-Conference outfielder Aaron Anderson also had three hits for the Flames. He doubled twice and scored twice in the contests.
Liberty moves to 36-12. Bellarmine drops to 13-25.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Bellarmine (13-25); Liberty (36-12)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Trevor Delaite (10-1) | LP: Jacob Nagel (2-5) | SV: Fraser Ellard (7)
BELL – 1st INNING – Mehlbauer singles, Finerty scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 1ST INNING – Wagner singles, Anderson scores, 1-1
LIBERTY – 1ST INNING – Gulakowski singles, Wagner scores, 2-1
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Betts flies out, Mathieu scores, 3-1
LIBERTY – 5thINNING – Wagner doubles, Anderson scores, 4-1
BELL – Finerty homers, 4-2
LIBERTY – Gulakowski flies out, Wagner scores, 5-2
- Liberty outhit Bellarmine, 11-10. Bellarmine committed two errors, while Liberty made one.
- The Flames left nine men on base, while the Knights left 12 men on.
- Liberty starter Trevor Delaite runs his record to 10-1. The ASUN Pitcher of the Year allowed two runs on seven hits over seven innings of work. He struck out a season-high eight and walked two batters.
- Liberty ASUN All-Conference first team reliever Fraser Ellard pitched the final two innings to record his team-leading seventh save. He gave up three hits, striking out four and walking one.
- Flames designated hitter Brady Gulakowski drove in two runs with a single and a sacrifice fly.
- Bellarmine starter Jacob Nagel takes the loss. He gave up four runs on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out one and did not walk a batter.
- Knights third baseman Josh Finerty had three hits, including his sixth home run of the season, and scored twice in the contest.
With Liberty leading 5-2 in the top of the eighth inning, Bellarmine moved runners into scoring position at second and third with one out to bring the tying run to plate to hit. Ellard, who entered at the top of the inning, proceed to get out of the jam by striking out the next two Knights batters to end the scoring threat and hold the Flames' three-run advantage.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty stakes itself to a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three quarterfinal series.
- The Flames have won eight consecutive games at home and move to 23-2 on the year at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
- For the third consecutive game, Wagner posts a multi-hit game with three hits. The second baseman has collected 18 multi-hit games and five three-hit contests. With two RBI in the contest, he now leads Liberty with 13 multi-RBI games.
- With three hits, Anderson collects his eighth game with three or more hits on the year. The left fielder leads the Flames with 20 multi-hit games.
- Third baseman Trey McDyre records his second straight game with two hits for Liberty. He now has nine multi-hit games of the season.
- Flames catcher Gray Betts was hit by a pitch in the contest and had an RBI sacrifice fly in the game. He has reached base safely in a team-leading 37 consecutive games.
- Delaite has won each of his last seven outings. Over the span, the left-hander has a 2.01 ERA.
Liberty and Bellarmine will meet again, tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is schedule for 4 p.m. With a victory, the Flames claim the series and move to the ASUN Championship Rounds, beginning Thursday at Harmon Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla. If Bellarmine wins, the Knights force game three on Sunday.