Liberty to Square off with Stetson in ASUN Quarterfinal, Friday
- The No. 5 seed Liberty Flames will square off with the No. 4 seed Stetson in an ASUN Quarterfinal match, Friday at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn. Match time is scheduled for 8 p.m. The winner will advance to play No. 1 seed Lipscomb on Sunday at 3 p.m.
- Liberty has qualified for the ASUN Men’s Soccer Championship in each of its first three seasons in the conference. The Flames have never won an ASUN Tournament match. Liberty is 0-3 in the tournament.
- Needing a victory to secure a spot in the ASUN Tournament, Liberty defeated North Florida 4-1 at Osborne Stadium in the final game of the regular season on Saturday. Marko Mitrevski scored two goals in a game for the first time in his career in the contest. Seth Clark and Brandt Betts also netted their first goals of the season in the contest.
- Liberty edged Stetson 2-1 in DeLand, Fla., in their regular season meeting on Sept. 18. It was the ASUN opener for both teams. Forward Michael Huss broke a 1-1 tie with a goal in the 74th minute in the Flames’ victory. Noah Holmes also scored for Liberty in the contest. It was the Flames’ first victory in four meetings between the two teams in program history.
- The Flames have outscored their opponents, 28-22. Liberty has had nine of its 15 games decided by one goal (4-5) and two games go to overtime (1-1).
- Forward Noah Holmes leads the Flames and is tied for third in the ASUN with six goals on the season. He also paces Liberty and is fourth in the conference with 14 points. His 1.08 points per game are second in the conference. Fellow forward Michael Huss is second on the Flames with four goals and nine points.
- Liberty midfielder Seth Clark leads the Flames with six assists and is tied for third in the ASUN Conference in the category. Freshman Michael Catanzarite is second on the Flames with four assists.
- Danny Cordero and Blake Franzen have split the goalkeeping duties for the Flames. Cordero has started the last five games. This past Saturday, he made a season-high four saves in Liberty’s win over UNF. He has posted a 1.59 GAA and a .622 save percentage in nine games.
- Before the match on Saturday evening, Liberty recognized the members of its roster playing in the final home game of their Flames’ career. The Flames will recognize forward Shane Geisler, midfielder Blake Myers, defenders Malik Smith, Hunter Heard, Sam Schubert and James Worth, and goalkeeper Nathan Yoder for their contributions to the program.
- Midfielder Marko Mitrevski was named the ASUN Player of the Week for Nov. 2 after posting the first two-goal game of his Flames career on Saturday. The junior scored on a penalty kick in the first half to give the Flames a 1-0 lead at the half and netted his second goal of the match during the 63rd minute to give Liberty a 2-0 edge. The goals were Mitrevski’s second and third of the season.
- After scoring three goals during the week, Noah Holmes was named the ASUN Player of the Week for Sept. 14. Holmes netted his first goal of the season in a 2-1 loss at George Washington on Sept. 7, before posting the first multi-goal game of his career with two goals in Liberty’s 3-0 victory at Radford on Sept.11.