Liberty to Face North Texas and South Florida Over Weekend
Riding a three-match winning streak, the Liberty women’s tennis squad will head to the state of Florida for the second time this spring for a pair of matches. The Lady Flames (5-3) will take on North Texas (6-1) in a neutral site match on Friday at noon, followed by a road match against South Florida (1-5) on Saturday at 11 a.m.
Both matches will be contested at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts in Tampa, Fla. Liberty is coming off a pair of victories last Saturday at home against James Madison (4-1 final) and Longwood (7-0 final). North Texas has won six of its first seven matches of the season and bested Middle Tennessee 6-1 in its most recent action, last Sunday. USF will be looking to snap a five-match losing streak this weekend. The Bulls fell 4-3 to SMU in their most recent contest, last Sunday.
This is Liberty’s second trip to the Sunshine State this spring. The Lady Flames opened the year against Minnesota and Toledo at the FGCU Tennis Complex, Jan. 15.
Lady Flames News and Notes
• Liberty is 1-2 all-time against North Texas. The Lady Flames topped the Mean Green 4-2 in Honolulu, Hawaii in the most recent meeting on March 10, 2021.
• Liberty’s final fall tournament this season was the North Texas Mean Green Invite, Nov. 5-7 at the Waranch Texas Complex in Denton, Texas. The Lady Flames won six doubles matches and eight singles contests over the three-day event competing against players from North Texas, UT Arlington, UTEP and VCU.
• Liberty holds an 0-2 all-time mark versus USF. The Bulls edged the Lady Flames 4-3 a season ago (Feb. 21, 2021).
• The Lady Flames are 5-0 at home this season, 0-1 in road matches and 0-2 in neutral site contests.
• During Liberty’s current three-match winning streak, the Lady Flames have outscored their counterparts 15-1. On the season, Liberty is a combined 15-8 (.652) in doubles and 26-14 (.650) in singles.
• Liberty features five players with three or more singles victories, led by freshman Maria Juliana Parra Romero (5-1) and Esther Lovato (4-2). Parra Romero leads the team with 16 singles wins against only three losses between the fall and spring seasons
• The Lady Flames’ most effective doubles units so far this spring have been Maretha Burger/Tiffany Nguyen (2-0 at No. 1), Burger/Bruna Sampaio (2-0 at No. 3), and Micaela Ode Mitre/Nguyen (3-1 between No. 1-3).