Liberty Takes Series Opener from Coastal Carolina 7-2
The Liberty Flames downed the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 7-2 in the opening game of their weekend series, Friday evening at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
The Flames broke a 2-2 tie with three runs in the sixth inning and the Liberty bullpen held Coastal Carolina in check over the final three innings for the victory.
Third baseman Trey McDyre, designated hitter Brady Gulakowski, right fielder Jake Wilson and shortstop Cam Locklear each had two hits apiece in the contest for the Flames. Gulakowski drove in two runs, while McDyre scored twice in the contest.
Liberty improves to 26-9 on the year. Coastal Carolina drops to 18-14.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Coastal Carolina (18-14); Liberty (26-9)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Trevor Delaite (6-1) | LP: Alaska Abney (1-1)
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Gulakowski singles, Anderson and Betts score, 2-0
COASTAL – 5th INNING – Weiss singles, Riopelle scores, 2-1
COASTAL – 5th INNING – Brown singles, Weiss scores, 2-2
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Wilson flies out, Haney scores, 3-2
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – McDyre scores on a wild pitch, 4-2
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Locklear doubles, Gulakowski scores, 5-2
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – McDyre triples, scores on throwing error, 6-2
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Gulakowski scores on a passed ball, 7-2
- Liberty outhit Coastal Carolina, 9-7. The Chanticleers committed the contest's lone error.
- Baserunners were at a premium, as each team left six men on base.
- Liberty pitchers combined to strike out 10 and walk only one batter.
- Flames starter Trevor Delaite records the win, allowing two runs on six hits over six innings. He struck out six and walked one.
- Liberty relievers David Erickson, Mason Fluharty and Fraser Ellard each pitched a scoreless inning.
- The Flames' four through seven batters in the lineup collected eight of Liberty's nine hits in the contest and knocked in four runs.
- Coastal Carolina starter Alaska Abney gave up five runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings. He struck out four and walked one.
- Second baseman Dale Thomas was the Chanticleer with two hits in the contest.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty and Coastal Carolina are meeting for the first time since 2016, this weekend. The two teams used to be rivals as members of the Big South. In addition, it is the first time since 1983 that they have meet as non-conference opponents.
- The Flames are 18-1 when outhitting their opponents in 2021.
- Flames catcher Gray Betts doubled to open the bottom of the first and extend his hitting streak to 21 games. With the hit, he has also reached base safely in 24 consecutive games. Both streaks are the longest for a Flame this season.
- Delaite is 5-1 with a 2.37 ERA over his last eight starts. With his win tonight, the left-hander now has six wins on the season, tying him for second in the ASUN and for the team lead in wins.
- Locklear posts his ninth multi-hit game of the season, while Gulakowski, McDyre and Wilson each record his seventh of the year.
Liberty and Coastal Carolina will meet again tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 11 a.m.