Liberty Takes Series Opener at North Alabama 13-5
The Liberty Flames dumped the North Alabama Lions 13-5, Friday evening in the first contest of a three-game weekend ASUN Conference series at Mike D. Lane Field.
All nine batters in the Liberty lineup had at least one hit in the contest, as the Flames pounded out 20 in the contest. The 1-2-3 hitters in the Flames lineup – catcher Gray Betts, left fielder Aaron Anderson and second baseman Will Wagner – combined for 13 hits, eight RBI and eight runs scored.
Wagner led the hit parade with a career-high five hits and a career-high five RBI. The second baseman hit a three-run home run in the first inning, his fifth of the year.
Betts and Anderson each had four hits apiece in the contest. Betts had two doubles and scored a career-high four times. Anderson doubled, drove in three runs and scored twice.
First baseman Logan Mathieu also hit his team-leading ninth home run of the season and drove in two runs in the contest.
Flames right-hander Trevor Delaite pitched his second complete game of the season in running his record to 5-1.
Winners of six straight contests, Liberty, who leads the ASUN North Division, ups its record to 23-8 overall and 9-1 in conference play. North Alabama falls to 4-27 overall and 3-10 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (23-8, 9-1 ASUN); North Alabama (4-27, 3-10 ASUN)
Location: Florence, Ala. (Mike D. Lane Field)
WP: Trevor Delaite (5-1) | LP: Hunter Davidson (1-5)
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Wagner homers, Anderson and Betts score, 3-0
UNA – 1st INNING – Daniel singles, Hudson scores, 3-1
UNA – 1st INNING – Thomas flies out, Daniel scores, 3-2
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Anderson singles, Guy scores, 4-2
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wagner singles, Betts scores, 5-2
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – McDyre doubles, Wagner and Betts score, 7-2
UNA – 4th INNING – Thrasher grounds out, Homan scores, 7-3
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Mathieu homers, 8-3
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Anderson singles, Betts scores, 9-3
UNA – 5th INNING – Barnett singles, Hudson scores, 8-4
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Gulakowski doubles, Locklear scores, 10-4
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Mathieu flies out, Wilson scores, 11-4
UNA – 6th INNING – Jensen singles, Thrasher scores, 11-5
LIBERTY – 9th INNING – Anderson doubles, Guy scores, 12-5
LIBERTY – 9th INNING – Wagner singles, Anderson scores, 13-5
- Liberty outhit North Alabama, 20-12. The Flames committed three errors.
- Liberty left nine men on base. North Alabama left seven.
- Delaite allowed five runs, three earned, on 12 hits over eight innings. He struck out four and walked three.
- Flames designated hitter Brady Gulakowski had two hits, including an RBI.
- Liberty stole four bases. Center fielder Jaylen Guy stole two.
- Lions starting pitcher Hunter Davidson was roughed up for nine runs on 15 hits over five innings.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty and North Alabama are meeting in an ASUN three-game series for the second time this season. The Flames are 4-0 against the Lions in 2021.
- Liberty is 15-1 when outhitting its opponents in 2021.
- The Flames had six doubles in the contest. Liberty leads the ASUN and entered the weekend seventh in the nation in two-base hits.
- Delaite becomes the first Flames pitcher to throw two or more complete games in a season since Evan Mitchell (3) and Victor Cole (2) in 2016.
- Wagner eclipsed his previous career-highs for hits and RBI in a game. The junior previously had four hits in a game twice, both coming in 2019. He had four RBI earlier this year in a win over Virginia at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium on March 24.
- Leading off the game with a double, Betts records his 13 multi-hit game of the season. He has at least one hit in 17 games and has now reached base safely in 20 consecutive games. Both streaks are the longest for a Flame this year. He has had four hits in a game for the fourth time in his career. Three of the have come this season.
- Anderson records his team-leading 14th multi-hit game of the season.
- Mathieu has hit a home run in three of his last four games.
- With a two-run double in the fourth inning, Trey McDyre extended his hitting streak to a season-high six games.
- For the second time in his career, Guy stole two bases in a game. He leads the Flames and is second in the ASUN with 10.
Liberty and North Alabama will meet again, tomorrow at Mike D. Lane Field. Game time is set for 3 p.m.