Liberty Sweeps Campbell 7-0 in Home Opener, Saturday Morning
Host Liberty swept Campbell 7-0 in its home opener, Saturday morning at the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center.
The victory is the first of the 2022 season for the Lady Flames (1-2). Campbell drops to 0-2 on the year. Liberty improves to 6-0 all-time at the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center and has won nine straight meetings against the Camels.
Liberty 7, Campbell 0
- Kalani Soli (LIBERTYW) def. Mialy Ranaivo (CAM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) def. Marissa Pennings (CAM) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
- M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) def. Rhona Cook (CAM) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
- Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) def. Sandra Gines (CAM) 6-1, 6-0
- Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) def. Anna-Marie Kopecka (CAM) 6-3, 6-4
- Marina Davtyan (LIBERTYW) def. Mariana Ossa (CAM) 6-1, 6-1
- Rhona Cook/Mialy Ranaivo (CAM) def. Kalani Soli/Maretha Burger (LIBERTYW) 7-5
- Eloise Saraty/Willa Rogers (LIBERTYW) def. Marissa Pennings/Anna-Marie Kopecka (CAM) 6-4
- Tiffany Nguyen/Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) def. Mariana Ossa/Sandra Gines (CAM) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,2,1,3)
Official: K Zimmerman/M Sarver T-3:02
How It Happened
• Liberty claimed two of the three doubles matches and all six singles contests, four in straight sets.
• Liberty seized an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point for the second time this season. The Lady Flames’ No. 3 doubles unit, Tiffany Nguyen and Micaela Ode Mitre, erased an early 1-0 deficit to Mariana Ossa and Sandra Gines on the way to a dominant 6-1 win.
• Liberty secured the first point of the match with a doubles triumph on court two from Eloise Saraty and Willa Rogers, 6-4 over Marissa Pennings and Anna-Marie Kopecka.
• Campbell prevailed in the No. 1 doubles match, as Rhona Cook and Mialy Ranaivo edged Kalani Soli and Maretha Burger of the Lady Flames 7-5. Cook and Ranaivo trailed 5-3 before winning the final four games.
• The Lady Flames’ Marina Davtyan, competing in her first singles match since March 17, 2021 (318 days), earned a dominant 6-1, 6-1 win over Ossa at No. 6 singles to extend the home lead to 2-0.
• Shortly after Davtyan’s win, Liberty’s Esther Lovato (No. 4 singles) made it 3-0 with her 10th overall victory of the 2021-22 season. Lovato downed her counterpart, Gines, 6-1, 6-0.
• The match-clinching fourth point came from the Lady Flames’ Nguyen on court five, as she bested Kopecka 6-3, 6-4.
• Liberty junior Alexandra Almborg extended the hosts’ lead to 5-0 with a 6-3, 7-6 (3) result over Pennings on court two.
• Lady Flames senior Kalani Soli, playing in her first match for Liberty in 690 days (March 10, 2020), erased a one-set deficit in her No. 1 singles match with Ranaivo to win 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
• Leading 6-0, Liberty capped off the sweep with a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4) win from Maria Juliana Parra Romero against Cook. Parra Romero leads the team with a 13-3 singles record between the fall and spring seasons and is 2-1 so far this spring.
• This is Liberty’s first 7-0 sweep since defeating Bellarmine 7-0 at home on April 10, 2021. The Lady Flames had four 7-0 sweeps during the spring 2021 campaign.
• The Lady Flames improve to 12-3 all-time against Campbell.
• The Lady Flames will take on Georgetown (0-2) in the second half of a doubleheader, today at 3 p.m. at the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center.
• Liberty is 1-1 all-time versus the Hoyas. The Lady Flames earned a 7-0 home triumph over Georgetown in the most recent meeting between the two teams on Jan. 25, 2020.