Liberty Sees 6-Match Winning Streak Halted at No. 38 Charlotte
Liberty saw its six-match winning streak halted following a 4-0 setback at No. 38 Charlotte, Sunday afternoon at Life Time Charlotte.
The Lady Flames drop to 8-2 on the season. The 49ers bolster their record to 9-2 overall and have won seven straight matches.
Thoughts From Head Coach Jeff Maren
“Charlotte handed it to us today. All credit goes to them, as they played better than we did and handled the fast court conditions much better than us. We learned a lot and will improve as a result of this one. To God be the glory!”
#38 Charlotte 4, Liberty 0
- #87 Margaux Maquet (CLT) vs. M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) 6-1, 4-6, unfinished
- Ruxi Schech (CLT) def. Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) 6-2, 6-4
- Lucia Quiterio (CLT) def. Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) 6-1, 6-0
- Rocio Safont (CLT) vs. Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) 6-3, 1-4, unfinished
- Lucie Petruzelova (CLT) vs. Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
- Emma Wilkins (CLT) def. Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) 6-0, 6-0
- Margaux Maquet/Lucia Quiterio (CLT) def. Maretha Burger/Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) 6-3
- Ruxi Schech/Kaavya Sawhney (CLT) def. Micaela Ode Mitre/M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) 6-1
- Rocio Safont/Lucie Petruzelova (CLT) vs. Eloise Saraty/Willa Rogers (LIBERTYW) 5-2, unfinished
Charlotte 9-2; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,6,2)
How It Happened
• The 49ers clinched the doubles session with wins on courts two and one, respectively. Charlotte claimed singles victories in the No. 3, No. 6 and No. 2 slots to secure the victory.
• Charlotte’s No. 2 duo, Ruxi Schech and Kaavya Sawhney, bested the Lady Flames’ Micaela Ode Mitre and Maria Juliana Parra Romero 6-1. The 49ers’ No. 1 pairing, Margaux Maquet and Lucia Quiterio, downed Maretha Burger and Tiffany Nguyen 6-3 to provide the hosts a 1-0 edge.
• Fresh off a doubles win, Quiterio downed Liberty’s Saraty 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 3 singles contest.
• Charlotte’s Emma Wilkins extended the lead to 3-0 when she bested Ode Mitre 6-0, 6-0 on court six.
• Schech of the 49ers defeated Alexandra Almborg of the Lady Flames 6-2, 6-4 to clinch the match for the home side.
• Lady Flames freshman Parra Romero won a set (6-4, second set) off of the No. 87-ranked player in the country, No. 87 Maquet, at No. 1 singles. The two players split sets before their match went unfinished.
• Liberty falls to 1-2 in road matches. Today was the Lady Flames’ first match against a ranked team this season. The ITA expanded its rankings this week to include the top 75 teams in the country.
• Liberty’s six-match winning streak was its longest since the Lady Flames also won their first six matches to open the 2021 season. Liberty’s streak started with a 4-0 home triumph over Richmond, Feb. 6, and was punctuated with a 4-3 home win over Missouri, Wednesday. The victory was the first in program history over an SEC foe.
•Liberty will return to action at William & Mary (3-4), next Saturday. Match time is 10 a.m. at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center in Williamsburg, Va.
• The Lady Flames are 2-1 all-time versus the Tribe. Liberty bested William & Mary 5-2 in the most recent matchup between the two squads on March 6, 2021.