Liberty Scores A Season-High 18 Runs in Game 1 Win over Kennesaw St.
The Liberty Flames pounded out 18 runs on 17 hits, routing the Kennesaw State Owls 18-3 in seven innings in game one of an ASUN doubleheader, Friday at Stillwell Stadium.
Liberty’s runs and hits totals are new season-highs for the Flames, as they plated 17 runs over the first three innings in the win.
Catcher Gray Betts went 4-for-5 with his second home run of the season, two runs scored and a career-high five RBI for the Flames in the contest. Right fielder Aaron Anderson also had four hits in the game. He had two RBI and scored two runs.
In addition, Liberty designated hitter Drew Baughman hit his first career home run and scored three times.
Flames’ starter Dylan Cumming pitched all seven innings to record the complete game.
Liberty takes the first two games of the series. The Flames move to 22-11 overall and 9-5 in the ASUN standings. Kennesaw State falls to 21-12 overall and 10-4 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (22-11, 9-5 ASUN); Kennesaw State (21-12, 10-4 ASUN)
Location: Kennesaw, Ga. (Stillwell Stadium)
WP: Dylan Cumming (3-1) | LP: Brayden Eidson (3-1)
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Betts scores, 1-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hill walks, Anderson scores, 2-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Mathieu singles, Orndorff and Hillier score, 4-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Foster reaches on an error, Hill scores, 5-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Baughman grounds into fielder’s choice, Mathieu scores (unearned), 6-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Betts singles, Foster (unearned) and Baughman (unearned) score, 8-0
1st INNING – KSU – Cash homers (unearned), Young scores (unearned), 8-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Foster singles, Hill scores, 9-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Keeter singles, Mathieu scores, 10-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Betts flies out, Foster scores, 11-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Anderson doubles, Keeter and Baughman score, 13-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier singles, Anderson scores, 14-2
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Baughman homers, Mathieu scores, 16-2
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Betts doubles, Keeter scores, 17-2
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Betts homers, 18-2
6th INNING – KSU – Young homers, 18-3
– Liberty collected a season-high 17 hits. Kennesaw State had five hits.
– The Flames committed one error. The Owls made three.
– Liberty left eight men on base. Kennesaw State left four men on.
– All nine men in the Liberty batting order scored in the contest.
– Flames starter Cumming allowed three runs on five hits over the seven innings. He struck out five and walked two.
– Left fielder Three Hillier, second baseman Nathan Keeter and first baseman Logan Mathieu each had two hits apiece for the Flames.
– Kennesaw State starting pitcher Brayden Eidson takes the loss. He was roughed up for eight runs on seven hits in one inning. He did not strike out a batter and walked one.
– No Kennesaw State hitter had more than one hit.- Third baseman Cash Young hit his eighth home run of the season and first baseman Donovan Cash hit his first home run of the year for the Owls.
Beyond the Box Score
– With the win, Liberty moves one game behind Kennesaw in the ASUN East Division. The Owls lead the division with a 10-4 mark, while the Flames hold a 9-5 record in conference play.
– Liberty has defeated the Owls in eight of their last nine meetings.
– With 18 runs and 17 hits, the Flames eclipse their previous season highs for both. Liberty had previously scored 14 runs twice in wins over Canisius on March 5 and March 6. The Flames previously collected a high of 14 hits in a 13-2 victory over Winthrop on Feb. 27.
– Betts collects a career-high five RBI in the game. His previous high was three. The catcher also posted his four-hit game of the season and his 11th multi-hit game.
– Anderson leads the Flames with 16 multi-hit games. His four-hit game was the first of the season for the outfielder and his fourth with three or more in a contest.
– Cumming records the first complete game of his Liberty career.