Liberty Rolls Past North Alabama Saturday
The Liberty Flames cruised past the North Alabama Lions 15-1 in the second game of a three-game ASUN series, Saturday at Mike D. Lane Field.
For the second straight day, all nine batters in the Liberty lineup had at least one hit in the contest. Six Flames had two or more hits.
Left fielder Aaron Anderson collected three hits and drove in three runs in the game. He was joined by third baseman Trey McDyre with three hits in the contest. McDyre had an RBI and scored twice.
Liberty second baseman Will Wagner and shortstop Cam Locklear each hit home runs in the contest. Wagner had two hits, including his sixth home run of the season, and had three RBI. Locklear also had two hits and drove in two runs. His two-run home run was his fourth of the year.
With the win, Liberty extends its winning streak to seven games. The Flames move to 24-8 overall and 10-1 in conference play. North Alabama falls to 4-28 overall and 3-11 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (24-8, 10-1 ASUN); North Alabama (4-28, 3-11 ASUN)
Location: Florence, Ala. (Mike D. Lane Field)
WP: Nick Willard (2-0) | LP: Chase Best (1-7)
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wilkinson singles, McDyre scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Betts singles, Guy scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – McDyre singles, Betts scores, 3-0
UNA – 3rd INNING – Holman singles, Daniel scores, 3-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Betts reaches on error, Guy scores, 4-
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Anderson doubles, Betts scores, 5-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Wagner homers, Anderson scores, 7-1
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Anderson singles, Mathieu scores, 8-1
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Wagner singles, Betts scores, 9-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Anderson singles, Mathieu scores, 10-1
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Wilson doubles, Locklear scores, 11-1
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Wilkinson singles, Wilson and McDyre score, 13-1
LIBERTY – 9th INNING – Locklear homers, Wagner scores, 15-1
- Liberty collected 17 hits in the contest. North Alabama had seven. The Lions committed three errors.
- Liberty left nine men on base. North Alabama left seven.
- Seven of the Flames' first 10 runs in the contest came with two out.
- Liberty scored a run in seven of the nine innings.
- Flames designated hitter Garrett Wilkinson drove in a career-high three runs with two hits.
- Center fielder Jaylen Guy had two hits and scored two times.
- Flames starting pitcher Nick Willard gave up one run on four hits over the first four innings. He struck out four and walked two.
- Left-hander Mason Meyer pitched three scoreless innings and Cole Garrett and Tyler Germanowski each pitched a scoreless frame.
- Lions starter Chase Best allowed nine runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty and North Alabama are meeting in an ASUN three-game series for the second time this season. The Flames are 5-0 against the Lions in 2021.
- The Flames have scored at least one run in 13 of the 18 innings in the first two games of the series.
- Liberty is 16-1 when outhitting its opponents in 2021.
- The Flames have hit at least one home run in each of their last five games, including two or more in three of the games.
- Anderson records his team-leading 15th multi-hit game of the season. He doubled in the contest, upping his ASUN leading total to 14.
- McDyre records his fifth multi-hit game of the year and has at least one hit in a season-high seven games.
- Wagner has hit a home run in each game of the series. The second baseman hit a three-run home run in Liberty's win on Friday. He also singled in today's game for his third consecutive multi-hit game and his 11th of the year. The second baseman has at least one RBI in 16 of his last 17 games.
- Flames catcher Gray Betts had an RBI single in the third inning to extend his hitting streak to 18 games. In addition, he reached base safely in 21 consecutive games. Both streaks are the longest for a Flame this year.
- Wilkinson had three RBI in a game for the first time in his two seasons at Liberty. The designated hitter previously had driven in two runs on three other occasions.
Liberty and North Alabama will complete their three-game ASUN series, tomorrow at Mike D. Lane Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.