Liberty Overwhelms Bellarmine 15-3
The Liberty Flames pounded out a season-high 10 extra base hits to cruise past the Bellarmine Knights 15-3 in the opening game of a three-game ASUN series at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium, Friday evening.
Liberty collected six doubles, three triples and a home run among its 15 hits in the game. Flames second baseman Will Wagner had two doubles among his game-high three hits, drove in three runs and scored twice. Right fielder Jake Wilson also had three hits, one an RBI triple, and scored three times for Liberty.
Flames first baseman Logan Mathieu had two hits and belted his team-leading 10th home run of the season. He had a game-high four RBI and plated two runs.
Liberty improves to 28-11 overall. The Flames have won eight consecutive ASUN Conference contests and move to 12-1 in ASUN play. Bellarmine drops to 12-25 overall and 7-12 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Bellarmine (12-25, 7-12); Liberty (28-11, 12-1 ASUN)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Trevor Delaite (7-1) | LP: Deylen Miley (3-5)
BELL – 1st INNING – Gambert homers, 1-0
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Anderson triples, Betts scores, 1-1
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Wagner singles, Anderson scores, 2-1
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Mathieu singles, Wilson and Wagner score, 4-1
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Wilson triples, McDyre scores, 5-1
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Rohrer flies out, Wilson scores, 6-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Wagner doubles, Anderson and Betts score, 8-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – McDyre doubles, Wagner scores, 9-1
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Betts singles, Rohrer scores, 10-1
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Locklear doubles, Wilson scores, 11-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Gulakowski flies out, Mathieu scores, 12-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Anderson flies out, Guy scores, 13-1
BELL – 8th INNING – Higgins triples, Gambert scores, 13-2
BELL – 8th INNING – Rouse singles, Higgins scores, 13-3
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Mathieu homers, Baughman scores, 15-3
- Liberty outhit Bellarmine, 15-8, in the contest. Neither team committed an error.
- The Flames left six men on base. The Knights left eight men on.
- Liberty scored a run in every inning, but the second.
- All nine hitters in the Liberty lineup had at least one hit in the contest. Eight of the nine had at least one extra base hit in the game.
- Liberty had a season-high three triples.
- Trevor Delaite allowed one run on six hits over the first seven innings to run his record to 7-1 on the year. The left-hander struck out six and walked one.
- Catcher Gray Betts had two hits, one a triple, to join Wagner, Wilson and Mathieu with two or more hits in the contest.
- Left fielder Chris Gambert hit his seventh home run of the season for Bellarmine.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty moves to 17-2 at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium this season.
- The Flames are 19-1 when they outhit their opponents in 2021.
- After having two hits at Virginia on Tuesday, Wilson follows with three hits this evening to post his ninth multi-hit game of the season. He has reached base safely in 16 consecutive games.
- Wagner collects his fourth game of the season with three or more hits and now has 13 multi-hit games on the year. The second baseman is second in the ASUN Conference with 40 RBI.
- With two hits and four RBI, Mathieu records his seventh multi-hit and his seventh multi-RBI game this season.
- Betts had two hits and walked in the contest to extend his reached base safely streak to 28 consecutive games. It is the longest such streak for a Flame this season.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear had an RBI double to extend his reached base safely streak to 19 consecutive games.
- Delaite moves to 7-0 with a 2.24 ERA over his last nine starts.
The Flames and Knights will meet again in the middle game of the three-game series, tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.