Liberty Outlasts Bellarmine 8-7
Designated hitter Brady Gulakowski had three hits, including a home run and David Erickson pitched three scoreless innings of relief, as the Liberty Flames topped the Bellarmine Knights 8-7 in an ASUN Conference game, Saturday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Gulakowski went 3-for-4 in the contest and broke a 7-7 tie in the seventh inning with his fourth home run of the season, a one-out solo home run. The designated hitter knocked in a season-high four runs and scored twice in the contest.
Erickson entered in the game with the score tied in the fifth inning and proceeded to shut down the Knights over the next three innings, retiring all nine batters he faced. The right-hander went on to record his ASUN-leading eighth victory of the year, striking out four.
Runs were plentiful early in the game, as Liberty led 7-6 after the first three innings of play. The Knights scored three runs in both the first and second innings, while Liberty tallied five runs in the first and plated single runs in the second and third innings.
Liberty improves to 29-11 overall and 13-1 overall in the ASUN. The Flames have won nine consecutive ASUN Conference contests. Bellarmine falls to 12-26 overall and 7-13 in the ASUN.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Bellarmine (12-26, 7-13 ASUN); Liberty (29-11, 13-1 ASUN)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: David Erickson (8-1) | LP: Anthony Ethington (2-3) | SV: Fraser Ellard (4)
BELL – 1st INNING – Higgins homers, Gambert and Finerty score, 3-0
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Wilson singles, Betts scores, 3-1
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Gulakowski doubles, Wilson and McDyre score, 3-3
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Locklear singles, Gulakowski scores, 4-3
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Guy singles, Locklear scores, 5-3
BELL – 2nd INNING – Finerty homers, Ockerman and Rouse score, 6-5
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Gulakowski singles, Wagner scores, 6-6
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Anderson doubles, Betts scores, 7-6
BELL – 5th INNING – Mulcahy reaches on fielder's choice, Higgins scores, 7-7
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Gulakowski homers, 8-7
- Liberty outhit Bellarmine, 11-7, in the contest. Each team committed an error.
- The Flames left eight men on base. The Knight left four.
- Liberty scored its first seven runs with two outs.
- Flames reliever Fraser Ellard struck out two of the three batters he faced in the ninth to record his fourth save of the year.
- Liberty catcher Gray Betts and second baseman Will Wagner each had two hits in the contest. Betts scored twice and Wagner drove in a run and scored a run.
- Bellarmine third baseman Josh Finerty and left fielder Matt Higgins each hit three-run home runs.
- Knight reliever Anthony Ethington took the loss. He gave up two runs on four hits over six innings.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty moves to 6-4 in one-run games this season.
- The Flames are 20-1 when outhitting their opponent this season.
- With the win, Erickson moves into a tie for the ASUN lead in wins with eight. He and Ellard lead the Flames with 18 appearances in 2021.
- Gulakowski collects his ninth multi-hit game of the year. The junior has hit .440 with three home runs and 11 RBI in his last seven starts at designated hitter.
- For the second straight day, Betts had two hits and scored two times. The catcher now has 15 multi-hit games and extends his reached base safely streak to 29 consecutive games. It is the longest such streak for a Flame this season.
- With two hits, Wagner collects his 14th multi-hit game of the year.
- Liberty left fielder Aaron Anderson hit his 16th double of the season in the game. He leads the ASUN Conference in doubles.
- Flames outfielder Jake Wilson had an RBI single in the first inning and has now reached base safely in 17 consecutive games. It is the longest such streak for Wilson, this season.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear had an RBI single in first inning to extend his reached base safely streak to 20 consecutive games. It is the longest such streak of the season for Locklear.
Liberty and Bellarmine will wrap-up their three-game conference series, tomorrow afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.