Liberty Knocks Down 11 Triples in 69-55 Victory at EKU
With Eastern Kentucky packing the paint on defense, Liberty hit 11 triples during a 69-55 victory, Saturday afternoon at McBrayer Arena. Three Lady Flames scored in double figures as the visitors came away with their sixth consecutive win.
Liberty improves to 21-2 overall and 9-1 in the ASUN with its second win in Kentucky in three days. Jordan Bailey led all players with 17 points, matching her career high from Thursday’s win over Bellarmine, as the Lady Flames won their inaugural meeting with the ASUN newcomer Colonels.
Eastern Kentucky, now 11-12 overall and 4-6 in ASUN play, shot just 33.9 percent (20-of-59) for the contest.
Box Score Highlights
Liberty Individuals: Bailey – 17 points, 3-6 3FG; Dee Brown – 14 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals; Alyssa Iverson – 11 points, 3-5 3FG; Mya Berkman – 10 rebounds; Kennedi Williams – 8 assists.
Eastern Kentucky Individuals: Jayla Johnson – 14 points; Bria Bass – 10 points, 10 rebounds; I’Liyah Green – 9 rebounds.
Key Team Stats: Liberty’s 11 triples were just one shy of the team’s season high, and the Lady Flames shot at a 39.3 percent clip from beyond the arc. The Lady Flames recorded 18 assists on 26 made field goals. Liberty outrebounded the Colonels 46-32 but EKU tallied 30 points in the paint to Liberty’s 22.
Bria Bass hit a three-pointer on EKU’s opening possession of the game, but the advantage did not last long as Liberty took the lead for good with an 11-0 run. The Lady Flames shot 3-for-3 during the burst, setting the tone for the rest of the game.
- Liberty led 21-12 after a first quarter where it knocked down five triples, including two apiece by Jordan Bailey and Priscilla Smeenge.
- Points were harder to come by during the second period, but Dee Brown tallied seven to keep the Lady Flames in front by 10 (33-23) heading into halftime. Liberty outrebounded its hosts 25-15 prior to the intermission.
- The Lady Flames shot 58.3 percent (7-of-12) during the third period, making three more trifectas. Liberty led by as many as 16 on its way to a 50-36 edge through 30 minutes of play.
- The Lady Flames’ lead reached 19 during a fourth quarter which saw the two teams tally 19 points apiece.
Notes and Nuggets
- Bailey scored a career-high 17 points for the second consecutive game, helping Liberty’s bench outscore their counterparts from EKU, 30-19.
- Brown finished just one point shy of her career high with her 14 markers and one rebound away from her second double-double.
- Iverson made a season-high three triples, scoring in double figures for the first time since a Dec. 7 win over Virginia Tech.
- Smeenge tied her career high of three trifectas made.
- Williams matched her career high of eight assists.
- Bridgette Rettstatt scored nine points in her 133rd career appearance, breaking the program record of 132 career games set by Avery Warley (2009-12).
- EKU became the eighth different team Liberty has defeated for the first time this season.
- Liberty improved to 145-23 all-time in February under Carey Green.
- The Lady Flames won the rebounding battle for the 21st time in 23 games this season.
Liberty will return home for a Wednesday clash with Lipscomb (8-14, 3-6 ASUN), the Lady Flames’ final regular-season matchup with a West Division opponent. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Liberty Arena.