Liberty Holds Off Kennesaw State 6-5
The Liberty Flames edged the Kennesaw State Owls 6-5 in an ASUN Conference contest, Saturday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Liberty jumped out to 6-2 advantage and then weathered a three-run Kennesaw State rally in the victory.
Designated hitter Brady Gulakowski had a game-high three hits, including his sixth home run of the year and a double, and knocked in two runs for the Flames. Liberty second baseman Will Wagner also had three hits. He drove in a run and scored twice in the victory.
With the win, Liberty moves to 16-1 in the ASUN Conference and 32-11 overall. The Flames has won 12 straight ASUN contests. Kennesaw State drops to 12-5 in ASUN play and 26-16 overall.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Kennesaw State (26-16; 12-5 ASUN); Liberty (32-11, 16-1 ASUN)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Dylan Cumming (2-1) | LP: Luke Torbert (5-4) | SV: Fraser Ellard (5)
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Wagner singles, Anderson scores 1-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Guy triples, Wilson scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Betts flies out, Guy scores, 3-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Gulakowski singles, Wagner scores, 4-0
KSU – 4th INNING – Carballo double, Sherill scores, 4-1
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Gulakowski homers, 5-1
KSU – 6th INNING – Caballo flied out, Sherrill scores, 5-2
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – McDyre singles, Guys scores on a fielding error, 6-2
KSU – 8th INNING – Norman triples, Tolve and Coro score, 6-4
KSU – 8th INNING – Spratling singles, Norman scores, 6-5
- Liberty outhit Kennesaw State, 10-8. The Owls made the only error of the contest.
- The Flames left six men on base. The Owls left five men on base.
- In his first weekend start of the season, Liberty's Dylan Cumming picks up the victory. The right-hander gave up one run on three hits over five innings. He struck out three and did not walk a batter.
- Fraser Ellard recorded his fifth save of the season, allowing one run on three hits over the final two innings. He struck out three.
- Kennesaw State right-hander Luke Torbert takes the loss. He gave up five runs on eight hits over five innings. He struck out five and walked one.
In the eighth inning, Liberty saw by Kennesaw State trim its lead to 6-5. With runners on second and third and two outs, Ellard, who had entered the game earlier in the inning, struck out Owls third baseman Jake Coro to end the inning and preserve the Flames' one-run lead.
Beyond the Box Score
- Liberty has taken the first two games of the ASUN series and will clinch the ASUN North Division with a win, tomorrow.
- Gulakowski recorded his 10th multi-hit game of the season. The Flames designated hitter has hit a home run in four of his last six starts.
- Wagner posts his fourth three-hit game of the season and his 15th multi-hit game of 2021.
- Ellard made his team-high 20th appearance in the contest and ties Landon Riley for the team lead with five saves.
- Aaron Anderson tripled for the third time this season in the first inning and scored the contest's first run. With the hit, Anderson pushes his hitting streak to eight games, a season-high for the left fielder.
- Flames right fielder Jake Wilson singled and scored in the contest. He has reached base safely in 20 consecutive games, a season-high for outfielder.
- Catcher Gray Betts walked in the fourth to extend his team-leading reached base safely streak to 32 games.
The Flames and Owls will conclude their three-game ASUN series, tomorrow afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. Before the game, Liberty will hold its Senior Day Ceremony.