Liberty Has Strong Doubles Session on Sunday at North Texas Invite
The Liberty Flames women’s tennis team posted a 3-1 mark in doubles on Sunday at the Waranch Tennis Complex to close out the North Texas Mean Green Invite.
Liberty competed against players from UTEP and VCU on the final day of play.
Over the course of the three-day event, Liberty won six doubles matches and eight singles contests.
Key Stats & Notes
• Liberty’s Maretha Burger and Esther Lovato (No. 2) won their doubles match 8-4 over the UTEP Miners’ Kathleen Percegona and Lina Sachica.
• Lovato, the No. 120-ranked singles player in the country, wrapped up a 3-0 weekend in her home state with a 6-3, 6-1 decision over VCU”s Yelizaveta Karlova.
• The Lady Flames’ Micaela Ode Mitre and Bruna Sampaio (No. 3) won a 9-8 (9) bout against the Miners’ Eve Daniels and Elena DiBattista.
• Liberty’s third and final doubles win today came from Willa Rogers and Elsa Kirch, 8-4 over the combination of Laura Schmitz (UTEP) and Anja Draskovic (VCU).
• Aside from Lovato, the Lady Flames’ two other singles triumphs came from Ode Mitre and Burger. Ode Mitre did not lose a game, winning 6-0, 6-0 versus Sachica of UTEP. Burger won the first set 6-0 against Draskovic before the VCU competitor retired due to injury.
• Liberty played seven events this fall. The Lady Flames’ Maria Juliana Parra Romero led the team with 11 singles wins. Burger led all Liberty players with nine doubles victories.
Liberty’s fall season has concluded. The Lady Flames will open their spring 2022 campaign against the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Jan. 15 in Fort Myers, Fla.