Liberty Finishes ASUN Tournament Pool Play Unbeaten by Topping Lipscomb 10-2
The No. 1 seed Liberty Flames closed out Pool A play at the ASUN Baseball Tournament with a 10-2 win over the No. 2 seed Lipscomb Bisons, Thursday afternoon at JetBlue Park.
Liberty never trailed in the contest, striking for six runs in the first inning. Flames’ second baseman Nathan Keeter had two hits, his second home run of the season and a triple, in the contest. Shortstop Stephen Hill added two hits and drove in three runs for Liberty.
Flames right-handers Tim Miller and Cole Garrett combined to hold the Bisons to two runs on four hits in the contest. The duo limited Lipscomb to six baserunners in the game.
Liberty moves to 36-20 on the season and wins Pool A with a 3-0 record. Lipscomb drops to 35-22 overall and finishes Pool A play with a 1-2 mark.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Lipscomb (35-22, 1-2 Pool A); Liberty (36-20, 3-0 Pool A)
Location: Fort Myers, Fla. (JetBlue Park)
WP: Tim Miller (1-1) | LP: Logan Van Treeck (0-2) | SV: Cole Garrett (1)
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier walks, Betts scores, 1-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hill singles, Orndorff and Anderson score, 3-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Foster grounds out, Hillier scores, 4-0
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Gulakowski singles, Mathieu and Hill score, 6-0
2nd INNING – LIP – Williams homers, 6-1
2nd INNING – LIP – Paxia hit by a pitch, Willhoite scores, 6-2
5th INNING – LIBERTY – Keeter homers, Gulakowski scores, 8-2
6th INNING – LIBERTY – Hill doubles, Hillier scores, 9-2
7th INNING – LIBERTY – Foster scores on a passed ball, 10-2
– Liberty outhit Lipscomb, 7-5. Neither team committed an error in the games.
– The Flames left seven men on base. The Bisons left three.
– Four of Liberty’s hits in the contest went for extra bases.
– Miller records the win in his first start at Liberty. He allowed two runs on four hits over five innings. He struck out two and walked one.
– Garrett did not allow a run over the final four innings to earn a save. He retired the first 11 batters he faced, before giving up a single with two out in the ninth. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
– Lipscomb starter Logan Van Treeck takes the loss. The right-hander never recorded an out in the contest, only facing six batters. He gave up six runs on one hit. He walked three and hit two batters.
– Lipscomb’s four pitchers combined to walk four batters and hit six.
– No Bison had more than one hit in the contest.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty wins Pool A with a 3-0 mark and advances to the semifinal game against the winner of Pool B Eastern Kentucky tomorrow. The Flames and Colonels will be meeting for the first time this season, as Eastern Kentucky was a member of the ASUN West Division during the 2022 regular season.
– Today’s contest was played at JetBlue Park, the Spring Training home of the Boston Red Sox. The facility is built with the same dimensions as Fenway Park in Boston, Mass., down to and including the “Green Monster” in left field. Keeter’s home run cleared the left field wall.
– Designated hitter Brady Gulakowski singled back through the middle of the diamond in the first inning, driving in two runs. He now has nine RBI in the first three games of the ASUN Tournament.
Tomorrow, No. 1 seed Liberty, the winner of Pool A, will square off against the Eastern Kentucky Colonels, the winner of Pool B, in the first ASUN semifinal at Swanson Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m.