Liberty Falls to FGCU in Straight Sets
The Liberty Lady Flames fell in three sets (25-14, 25-13, 25-14) to the FGCU Eagles in an ASUN East Division match, Sunday afternoon at Alico Arena.
The ASUN East-leading Eagles move to 7-0 in ASUN play and 15-4 overall. FGCU has won eight consecutive matches. The Lady Flames fall to 2-4 in ASUN matches and 6-7 overall. Liberty has dropped four straight matches.
- FGCU outhit Liberty, .266 to -.097, in the match. The Eagles served up nine aces while committing eight service errors. The host also led in blocks (13-4), digs (31-30) and kills (30-21).
- FGCU’s Erin Shoemaker led all players with 10 kills, while Lilly Kruse and Trinity Watts led Liberty with five kills each.
- Eagles’ Chesley Lockley had a match-high 24 assists, while teammate Dana Axner led all players with 16 digs. Aja Jones and Juliana Lentz each had a match-high five blocks for the FGCU.
- Lady Flames’ Watts also had a team-high seven digs. Amaya Williams led Liberty with 17 assists, while Lydia Burts had a team-high three blocks.
- FGCU jumped out to a 2-0 match lead with 25-14 and 25-13 wins in the first two sets. The Eagles never trailed in either set.
- In the third set, Liberty started quickly, taking a 4-1 edge to begin the set. However, FGCU battled back to tie the set at 9-9 and go on to take the match with a 25-14 set victory.
- Liberty is still looking for its first-ever win over FGCU at Alico Arena, as the Lady Flames are 0-3 against FGCU in Fort Myers.
- FGCU will host the 2021 ASUN Volleyball Championship, Nov. 18-20.
- Today’s contest was the final match of six consecutive road contests for the Lady Flames. Liberty went 2-4 over the span.
- Liberty’s -.097 hitting percentage was its lowest in a match this season.
The Lady Flames return to Liberty Arena for the first time since Sept. 11 for two home ASUN Conference matches. Liberty will host North Florida on Friday at 6 p.m. and Jacksonville on Sunday at 1 p.m.