Liberty Falls in 3 Sets at UNF
The host North Florida Ospreys swept the Liberty Lady Flames 3-0 (25-18, 25-12, 25-15) on Senior Night to wrap up the regular season, Saturday at UNF Arena.
North Florida bounced back from a 3-0 sweep to Kennesaw State last night, finishing the regular season at 23-6, including 12-4 in ASUN play. Meanwhile, the Lady Flames (10-13, 6-10) went 1-1 on their trip to Jacksonville, sweeping Jacksonville last night before falling in three sets tonight.
The Ospreys will serve as the No. 3 seed in the East Division for next weekend’s 2021 ASUN Volleyball Championship, hosted at FGCU’s Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. UNF will take on No. 2 West Division seed and defending ASUN champion Lipscomb at 4 p.m. on Thursday. Then, the fifth-seeded Lady Flames will take on No. 1 East Division seed FGCU at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
• The Ospreys outhit the Lady Flames .308-.000 for the match. UNF also led in blocks (13-2), aces (5-1) and kills (37-26), while Liberty held a slight 39-38 edge in digs.
• UNF’s Dariana Hollingsworth-Santana led all players with 10 kills, hitting .474, while Solimar Cestero hit .438 with nine kills to go along with six blocks. Julianna Askew dished out a match-high 19 assists and served up a match-high three aces. Rocio Moro collected 14 digs, while Bre Walp posted six blocks.
• Aspen Thompson hit .357 with a team-high six kills for Liberty, while Amaya Williams dished out 10 assists and tied with Lindsey Hardesty for the team lead with eight digs.
• North Florida never trailed in this match, as there were zero ties and no lead changes.
• A Kennedi Sutter kill narrowed the gap to 16-15 in the first set, but Liberty would get no closer, as the Ospreys outscored the Lady Flames 9-3 down the stretch to win 25-28.
• UNF completed the sweep with wins of 25-12 and 25-15 in the final two sets.
• Liberty is now 6-2 all-time against North Florida in volleyball, with both of the Ospreys’ wins over the Lady Flames coming this season.
• Prior to tonight, Liberty had won its first two matches at UNF Arena, defeating the Ospreys in Jacksonville in both 2018 and 2019.
The Lady Flames will open the 2021 ASUN Volleyball Championship next Thursday at 7 p.m., taking on the host, No. 1 East Division seed FGCU at Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla.