Liberty Edges Marist 4-3
The Liberty Flames topped the Marist Red Foxes 4-3, Friday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
First baseman Garrett Wilkerson and center fielder Jaylen Guy each hit home runs for the Flames in the victory. Catcher Brady Gulakowski collected two hits, including a double, in the contest.
Liberty moves to 5-4 on the year. With the win, the Flames push their winning streak to four games. Marist falls to 2-5.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Marist (2-5); Liberty (5-4)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Mason Meyer (1-2) | LP: Alex Pansini (0-1) | SV: Landon Riley (3)
MARIST – 2nd INNING – Amory doubles, Napolitano scores, 1-0
MARIST – 2nd INNING – Mackle singles, Amory scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – McDyre flies out, Locklear scores, 2-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Wilkerson homers, Schilling scores, 3-2
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Guy homers, 4-2
MARIST – 8th INNING – Reece Armitage flies out, Robbie Armitage scores, 4-3
– Liberty outhit Marist, 8-6, in the contest. Neither team committed an error.
– Wilkerson and Guy each hit his first home run of the year. Wilkerson gave the Flames a 3-2 lead with a two-run home run in the fourth. Guy extended Liberty's lead to 4-2 with a solo home run in seventh.
– Flames left-hander Mason Meyer picks up his first victory of 2020, allowing two runs on five hits over five innings. He struck out seven and walked one.
– Landon Riley records the final four outs of contest to earn his third save of the year. The Liberty right-hander struck out two and walked one.
With tying run on first, two out, and a run already in, Riley was summoned from the Liberty bullpen to try to hold the Flames' one-run edge. Inheriting a 2-1 count, Riley ended up working with the runner in scoring position, when he stole second on the reliever's first pitch. After walking the batter, Riley induced a fly out to right field to end the inning and preserve the Flames' 4-3 lead. He retired the side in order in the ninth to close out the victory.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty runs its record to 5-1 on its current nine-game homestand at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
– Liberty has hit a home run in each of its last five games.
– With two hits in the contest, Gulakowski collects his third multi-hit game of the year. Gulakowski and Guy are the only Flames to have reached base in every game this season.
– Third baseman Ben Highfill singled in the seventh inning to extend his hitting streak to seven games.
– Wilkerson's home run was his first as a Flame.
– Senior Garret Price pitched two innings of relief in the contest. The right-hander ties Alex Dooley (1999-02) with 79 appearances, the most of any pitcher in program history.
Liberty hosts Marist in the middle game of their three-game series, tomorrow at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.