Liberty Eases Past N.C. A&T in Home Opener
The Liberty Flames opened their home schedule in grand fashion, cruising by the North Carolina A&T Aggies 16-2, Wednesday afternoon at Worthington Stadium at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
In Liberty's first home game of the season, second baseman Josh Haney collected three hits, including a home run, and first baseman Logan Mathieu also hit a home run in the victory.
Liberty evens its record at 2-2. North Carolina A&T falls to 1-3.
Box Score Highlights
Records: North Carolina A&T (1-3); Liberty (2-2)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Mason Hand (1-0) | LP: Peyton Winebarger (0-1)
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Mathieu homers, Betts scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Haney singles, McDyre scores, 3-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Guy singles, Haney scores, 4-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Anderson singles, Guy scores, 5-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – McDyre flies out, Betts scores, 6-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Wilson reaches on fielding error, Mathieu scores, 7-0
NC A&T – 5th INNING – Mack doubles, Williams scores, 7-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Wilson walks, Betts scores, 8-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Haney singles, McDyre and Mathieu score, 10-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Guy doubles, Haney and Wilson score, 12-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Anderson grounds out, Guy scores, 13-1
NC A&T – 8th INNING – Ash reaches on fielding error, Rodriguez scores, 13-2
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Wilson doubles, McDyre and Wilkinson score, 15-2
LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Haney homers, 16-2
– Liberty posted a double-digit hit total for the first time in 2021. The Flames outhit the Aggies, 15-7. Each team committed one error.
– The Flames were 8-of-16 with runners in scoring position in the contest.
– The bottom third of Liberty's lineup, positions 7-9, collected six hits, drove in 10 runs and scored six times.
– Haney, making his first Liberty start, was 3-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored. The sophomore also hit his first home run as a Flame in the victory.
– Mathieu had a double and his first home run of 2021 in the contest. The first baseman drove in two runs and scored three times.
– Center fielder Jaylen Guy drove in a career-high three RBI. The sophomore had two hits, a double, scored twice and stole a base.
– Right fielder Jake Wilson had three RBI in his first start in a Liberty uniform. Wilson doubled home two runs and walked with the base loaded.
– Making his first start of 2021, right-hander Mason Hand pitched four scoreless innings, allowing two hits. He tied his career-high with six strikeouts and walked one batter.
Beyond the Box Score
– With the win, Liberty moves to 8-1 in home openers at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The Flames are 36-11 in home openers in program history.
– Liberty hitters drove in six runs with two strikes in the contest.
– Five Flames collected multi-hit games. Besides Haney, Mathieu and Guy, third baseman Trey McDyre and outfielder Gray Betts also had two hits apiece in the contest.
– Betts and designated hitter Aaron Anderson each have at least one hit in every game, this season.
Liberty travels to Fort Worth, Texas for a weekend series against the No. 10-ranked TCU Horned Frogs. The series opens Friday at Lupton Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.