Liberty Dumps Longwood 16-6
The Liberty Flames cruised past the Longwood Lancers 16-6, Tuesday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
The Flames batted around in the first and third innings, building a 14-0 lead through the first three innings of play.
Liberty second baseman Trey McDyre collected a game-high four hits, drove in five runs and scored five times. Three of senior's four hits were doubles.
Gray Betts and Garrett Wilkinson each added three hits apiece for the Flames who had a season-high 16 hits in the contest. Outfielder Matt Shilling hit a solo home run in his first at bat in a Liberty uniform.
Winners of three in a row, Liberty evens its record to 4-4 on the year. Longwood drops to 2-7.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Longwood (2-7); Liberty (4-4)
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium)
WP: Mason Hand (2-0) | LP: Andrew Melnyk (0-1)
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Gulakowski flies out, Betts scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – McDyre doubles, Locklear and Highfill score, 3-0
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Baughman walks, Rohrer scores, 4-0
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Guy reaches on a fielder's choice, McDyre scores, 5-0
LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Throwing error by third baseman, Wilkinson scores, 6-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – McDyre doubles, Rohrer and Locklear score, 8-0
LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Wilkinson singles, McDyre scores, 9-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Betts scores on a wild pitch, 10-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Gulakowski doubles, Highfill scores, 11-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Rohrer lines out to right, Gulakowski scores, 12-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – McDyre doubles, Locklear scores, 13-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Wilkinson scores, McDyre scores, 14-0
LWD – 4th INNING – Gorham doubles, Schnell scores, 14-1
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Betts singles, McDyre scores, 15-1
LWD – 6th INNING – Looney singles, Wadsworth scores, 15-2
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Shilling homers, 16-2
LWD – 7th INNING – Peterson doubles, Jimenez scores, 16-3
LWD – 7th INNING – Tucker singles, Peterson scores, 16-4
LWD – 7th INNING – Gilliam doubles, Schnell scores, 16-5
LWD – 8th INNING – Peterson singles, Looney scores, 16-6
– Liberty pounded out a season-high 16 hits in the contest. Six were for extra bases. Longwood had 12 hits.
– With four hits and five RBI, McDyre ties his career-highs in both categories. The second baseman also scored four times to set a new career-high.
– Ben Highfill joined Betts, McDyre and Wilkinson with a multi-hit game. Highfill collected two hits and scored twice.
– Shilling hit his first home run of the season in the sixth inning.
– Flames right-hander Mason Hand records his second victory in as many starts. Hand allowed one run over five innings. He tied a career-high with six strikeouts and did not walk a batter.
Liberty sent 10 men to the plate in the first inning, jumping out to a 6-0 lead. The Flames used three hits and benefited from a Longwood error in the inning. With Hand holding the Lancers scoreless over the first three innings, Liberty tacked on eight more runs over the second and third innings for a 14-0 bulge on the scoreboard.
Beyond the Box Score
– With the victory, Liberty runs its record to 4-1 on its current nine-game homestand at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
– The Flames have posted double-digit hit totals in each of their last two games. Sunday, Liberty had 10 hits in its 5-3 win over Seton Hall.
– Liberty has hit a home run in each of its last four games.
– McDyre records back-to-back games with three or more hits and collects his third multi-hit contest of the season. The senior scored four runs in the game, surpassing his career-high of three scored on April 17, 2017 at James Madison.
– Betts posted his first multi-hit game of the season in the contest.
– Wilkerson collects his first three-hit game of his Liberty career and his second multi-hit game of 2020.
– Highfill extends his team-leading hitting streak to six games.
Liberty hosts Marist for a three-game series at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium, starting Friday. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.