Liberty Drops Regular Season Finale at No. 8 Florida, Wednesday Afternoon
Liberty dropped its regular season finale at No. 8 Florida on Wednesday afternoon by a 17-2 score at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.
Liberty wraps up regular season play with a 9-8 mark after facing its sixth ranked opponent and fourth top-10 team of 2021. Florida bolsters its record to 14-2 and has won 11 straight games.
The Lady Flames' Brooke Bryan scored her team-leading 42nd goal of the season. Bryan moved into solo second place in program history for goals in a single season, breaking a tie with former player Sam Struss (41 goals, 2014).
Liberty goalkeeper Jennifer Soriero notched her sixth double-digit save effort of the year, making 11 stops in the contest.
Liberty Goals: Brooke Bryan 1, Carly White 1
Liberty Assists: None
Florida Goals: Shannon Kavanagh 4, Brianna Harris 3, Grace Haus 2, Kassidy Bresnahan 2, Daniella Pavinelli 2, Emily Heller 2, Liz Harrison 1, Charlotte Harmon 1, Janine Suris 1
Florida Assists: Brianna Harris 3, Shannon Kavanagh 2, Paisley Eagan 1, Maggi Hall 1, Grace Hasus 1, Bella Palagonia 1, Jill Quigley 1
W: Sarah Reznick 14-2, six saves
L: Jennifer Soriero 9-8, 11 saves
Liberty fell behind 8-0 in the opening 11:56 of the game and was held off the scoreboard until the 25:28 mark of the second half. The Lady Flames prevented the Gators from scoring for a stretch of 15:51 (18:04 to 2:55) in the first half, but Florida closed with three goals in the final 2:55 to take a commanding 11-0 lead into the break. The Gators' Shannon Kavanaugh scored on a free-position shot with 12 seconds to play to send the hosts into the locker room with the 11-goal lead.
Liberty's Carly White and Bryan scored back-to-back goals at the 25:38 and 21:32 marks of the second frame to trim the Florida lead to 12-2. The Gators outscored the Lady Flames 5-0 over the final 21-plus minutes to close out the victory.
Key Stats & Notes
• White's goal was the 111th of her career. She moves into a tie for fourth place in program history with Kayla Foster (111 goals, 2016-19).
• Bryan has scored 42 of her 48 career goals (87.6 percent) this season.
• Florida outshot Liberty 34-16 and held edges in ground balls (28-15), caused turnovers (16-5), free-position goals (4-0) and draw controls (10-9).
• Both teams found success in the clear, as Liberty converted 14-of-15 (93.3 percent) of its chances. Florida converted 21-of-22 (95.5 percent) clearing opportunities.
• Florida was the second straight top-10 opponent Liberty has faced and sixth ranked opponent of the season for the Lady Flames. This season is the first time Liberty has ever competed against more than two ranked opponents in a year.
• Six of Liberty's eight losses this season have come to ranked teams.
• Today's setback marks the Lady Flames' first loss in a regular season finale since 2017.
• Liberty will begin preparing for the 2021 ASUN Women's Lacrosse Championship, held May 6-8 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, Ga. The Lady Flames' semifinal matchup will be on May 6, and their opponent will be announced on Friday.
• Liberty is 1-1 all-time at the ASUN Championship. The Lady Flames finished runner-up to Jacksonville in 2019 the last time the tournament was contested. The 2020 ASUN Championship was not contested due to the COVID-19 pandemic.