Liberty Downs Old Dominion 9-5
Led by the pitching duo of David Erickson and Trey Carter, the Liberty Flames top the Old Dominion Monarchs 9-5 Wednesday evening at Bud Metheny Stadium.
Behind the two right-handers, the Flames led throughout, jumping out to a 6-0 advantage after three innings and never looking back, snapping the Monarchs’ 13-game home winning streak.
Making the first start of his Liberty career, senior Erickson allowed two runs on four hits over the first four innings to record the win before leaving with a runner on in the fifth inning for Carter.
Carter held the Monarchs in check the rest of the way. The reliever gave up three runs on three hits over the final five innings. He struck out a career-high nine batters and walked two.
Liberty shortstop Jake Lazzaro reached base four times in the contest with a two-run single and three walks. He scored twice.
Flames center fielder Jaylen Guy doubled and was twice hit by a pitch. He also scored twice and made a diving catch in the right-center field gap, robbing a Monarch of an RBI double.
Liberty moves to 9-11 on the season and snaps Old Dominion’s six-game winning streak. The Monarchs drop to 18-3.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (9-11); Old Dominion (18-3)
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Bud Metheny Stadium)
WP: David Erickson (1-0) | LP: Ben Moore (2-1) | SV: Trey Carter (1)
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Kepley grounds out, Lazzaro scores, 1-0
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Keeter singles, Guy scores, 2-0
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Keeter hit by a pitch, Lazzaro scores, 3-0
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Guy scores on a wild pitch, 4-0
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Betts singles, Keeter and Kepley score, 6-0
4th INNING – ODU – Grimes homers, Levari scores, 6-2
6th INNING – LIBERTY – Horton flies out, Betts scores, 7-2
6th INNING – LIBERTY – Lazzaro singles, Foster and Hillier score, 9-2
7th INNING – ODU – Grimes homers, 9-3
9th INNING – ODU – Duffy singles, Levari scores, 9-4
9th INNING – ODU – Wheeler scores on a wild pitch, 9-5
– Each team had seven hits apiece in the contest. Old Dominion committed the game’s only error.
– Liberty left 10 men on base. Old Dominion left five.
– Right fielder Camden Foster was the only Flame with two hits in the contest.
– Erickson and Carter combined to strike out 14 Monarchs.
– Old Dominion starter Ben Moore takes his first loss of 2023. He gave up two runs on four hits over two innings. He struck out two and walked two.
– The six Monarch pitchers in the game combined to walk nine and hit four batters.
– Left fielder Camden Grimes hit two home runs for Old Dominion.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty and Old Dominion met on the diamond for the first time since 2016 this evening. The Monarchs had not lost at home since their first game of the season on Feb. 17 against St. John’s.
– Erickson, a senior, had made 67 relief appearances before making his first Liberty career start.
– Carter set a new career-high with nine strikeouts, eclipsing his former high of seven strikeouts in a win at Stetson on May 22, 2022.
– Over the last 10 games, Guy leads the Flames with a .353 batting average. Seven of his 12 hits during the span were for extra bases, six doubles and one triple.
– Betts had a two-run single in the third inning and walked in the game. He has reached base safely in 14 consecutive games, the longest such streak by a Flame this season.
– With his two hits, Troyer ties Betts for the team lead with eight multi-hit games.
– Catcher Three Hillier walked and has now reached base safely in 13 straight games.
Liberty returns home for its first ASUN three-game series of 2023. The Flames will host the Austin Peay Governors starting Friday afternoon. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Featured in Main Photo: David Erickson