Liberty Downs Georgetown 6-1 for Second Win of Day
The Liberty women’s tennis downed Georgetown by a 6-1 score in the second half of a doubleheader, held Saturday afternoon at the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center.
Liberty improves to 2-2 on the season, and Georgetown falls to 0-3.
Liberty outscored its opposition 13-1 today, which also included a 7-0 sweep of Campbell this morning.
Liberty 6, Georgetown 1
- Avantika Willy (GUW) def. Kalani Soli (LIBERTYW) 6-3, 3-2, retired
- M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) def. Chloe Bendetti (GUW) 7-5, 6-3
- Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) def. Agata Mikos (GUW) 6-3, 6-3
- Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) def. McHaley Ho (GUW) 6-0, 6-1
- Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) def. Morgan Coburn (GUW) 6-2, 6-0
- Willa Rogers (LIBERTYW) def. Nadine Del Carmen (GUW) 6-0, 6-3
- Tiffany Nguyen/M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) def. Chloe Bendetti/Olivia Ashton (GUW) 6-1
- Eloise Saraty/Elsa Kirch (LIBERTYW) def. Agata Mikos/Morgan Coburn (GUW) 6-2
- Bruna Sampaio/Maretha Burger (LIBERTYW) def. McHaley Ho/Avantika Willy (GUW) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1,6,5,3,2)
Official: K Zimmerman/M Sarver T-2:10
How It Happened
• Liberty’s five-point margin of victory was made possible by a 3-0 doubles session and 5-1 singles session.
• The Lady Flames opened the match by sweeping the three doubles contests. Liberty has won the doubles point in three of its four matches, this season.
• Liberty’s No. 3 pairing, Bruna Sampaio and Maretha Burger, never trailed on the way to a 6-1 win over McHaley Ho and Avantika Willy of Georgetown. The Lady Flames secured the doubles point on court one, as Tiffany Nguyen and Maria Juliana Parra Romero upended Chloe Bendetti and Olivia Ashton 6-1.
• The Lady Flames completed the sweep with a 6-2 decision from Eloise Saraty and Elsa Kirch on court two over Agata Mikos and Morgan Coburn of the Hoyas.
• Liberty’s Esther Lovato dominated her singles session on court one, winning 6-0, 6-1 versus Georgetown’s Ho.
• The Hoyas’ only point of the match came from Willy, who defeated Kalani Soli of Liberty by retirement.
• With a 2-1 lead, the Lady Flames won all four closing singles matches on courts six, five, three and two, in that order.
• Liberty freshman Willa Rogers earned her first career singles dual match win, beating Nadine Del Carmen 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 6 position. The Lady Flames’ lead increased to 4-1, securing victory, when Nguyen rolled past Coburn on court five.
• Liberty’s No. 3 and No. 2 players, Alexandra Almborg and Parra Romero, also collected straight-sets triumphs. Almborg only trailed once in her match with Mikos and won 6-3, 6-3. Meanwhile Parra Romero erased a 3-0 deficit in the opening set with Bendetti and prevailed 7-5, 6-3. Parra Romero’s team-best 14th singles win of the year pushed the final score to 6-1.
• Liberty improves to 2-1 all-time against Georgetown. In those two victories, the Lady Flames have outscored the Hoyas 13-1.
• The Lady Flames remain unbeaten at the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center at 7-0. In those seven matches, Liberty has outscored its opposition 40-8.
• Prior to today, Liberty last swept a home doubleheader on Feb. 13, 2021 against Davidson (7-0 final) and Towson (6-1 final). Those two matches were the first-ever contests held in the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center.
• All four of Liberty’s matches in 2022 have come in doubleheader formats. The Lady Flames opened the season two weeks ago (Jan. 15) with a doubleheader against Minnesota and Toledo in Fort Myers, Fla. Those two matches were supposed to be held on separate days but were played on the same day due to forecasted inclement weather.
• Liberty will be back in action on the road at VCU (3-1) on Friday. The Lady Flames and Rams will square off at 2 p.m. at the Thalhimer Tennis Center in Richmond, Va.
• VCU holds a 3-0 edge in the all-time series. The Rams handed the Lady Flames one of only two home losses in 2021 at the Liberty Tennis Complex.