Liberty Dominates VMI 9-1
The Liberty Flames cruised to a 9-1 victory over the VMI Keydets, Tuesday evening at Osborne Stadium.
The host Flames raced out to a 6-0 lead during the first half and added three more in the second in the victory.
Michael Huss and Shane Geisler each score two goals apiece in the contest for the Flames.
The win snaps a two-game losing skid for the Flames. Liberty improves to 6-5 on the season. VMI drops to 1-12.
8’ – LIBERTY – Noah Holmes (Assisted by Michael Catanzarite)
24’ – LIBERTY – Luke Eberle (Assisted by Michael Catanzarite)
26’ – LIBERTY – Gabe Findley (Assisted by Seth Clark)
35’ – LIBERTY – Gora Gora (Unassisted)
39’ – LIBERTY – Michael Huss (Assisted by Filip Burnett)
42’ – LIBERTY – Own Goal
61’ – VMI – Grant Martin (Assisted by Nathan Lam)
63’ – LIBERTY – Michael Huss (Assisted by Seth Clark)
79’ – LIBERTY – Shane Geisler (Assisted by Blake Myers)
89’ – LIBERTY – Shane Geisler (Assisted by Konner Robbins)
Key Stats & Notes
- Liberty outshot VMI, 21-6, and held a 16-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- For the second time in his career, Huss scores two goals in a contest. The forward netted two goals in his first collegiate game in Liberty’s 4-0 victory over Belmont Abbey on Feb. 6, 2021.
- Geisler scores his first two goals of the fall and records the first multi-goal match of his four-year career.
- Forward Noah Holmes gave the Flames a 1-0 lead early in the first half with his team-leading fifth goal of the season.
- Luke Eberle, Gabe Findley and Gora Gora also netted goals for Liberty. Gora’s goal was the first of his collegiate career.
- Midfielder Seth Clark recorded two assists in the contest and now leads the Flames with five. Freshmen forward Michael Catanzarite also had two assists. He now has four on the season.
- Liberty goalkeeper Danny Cordero recorded one save during the contest. VMI keeper Broden Schull made eight saves.
- Liberty’s goal total is the most by the Flames in a contest since defeating Southern Virginia 9-0 at Osborne Stadium on Sept. 20, 2011. The facility record for most goals in a game was an 11-0 victory over Southern Virginia on Sept. 6, 2003.
- The Flames have won their last six meetings with the Keydets.
Saturday, Liberty returns to ASUN Conference play. The Flames will travel to Louisville, Ky., for a match against the Bellarmine Knights. Match time is scheduled for 7 p.m.