Liberty Defeats FGCU for First ASUN Victory
Liberty picked up its first conference win of the season, defeating FGCU 2-0, Sunday afternoon at Osborne Stadium. Liberty improves to 5-3-2 on the season and 1-0-1 in the ASUN Conference while FGCU drops to 3-5-0 overall and 1-1-0 in conference.
59’ – LIBERTY – Saydie Holand (Assist by Bridie Herman)
63’ – LIBERTY – McKinley Burkett (Penalty Kick)
Liberty turned the game around within the first 20 minutes of the second half that proved to be the difference makers in Sunday’s contest. Saydie Holland’s second goal of the year would be her first game-winning goal of the season, scoring in the 59th mi9nute and the Lady Flames would hold onto its lead and record its fifth shutout of the season.
Key Stats & Notes
- Ainsley Leja recorded her fifth shutout of the season.
- Leja recorded two saves.
- Saydie Holland scored her second goal of the season and fifth of her career.
- Holland recorded her first game-winning goal of the season and second of her career.
- Liberty outshot FGCU 19-5.
- Liberty held FGCU to one shot on goal.
- McKinley Burkett scored her fourth goal of the season and 11th goal of her career.
- Ivy Garner attempted a game-high six shots.
Thoughts from Head Coach Lang Wedemeyer
“It was a great rebound effort for us, especially after a disappointing tie on Thursday against Stetson. FGCU is always one of the premier teams in the conference so to come out and take control of the game and get two goals in the second half was huge for us. Now we have to continue to move in the right direction.”
Liberty will play its first ASUN road contests this season starting on Thursday, Sept. 22, against Jacksonville State. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN+.