Liberty Completes Day 1 at NCAA Zone Championships
Liberty began its first appearance at the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships, as three Lady Flames competed in three-meter diving, Monday at the U.S. Naval Academy's Lejeune Hall.
Liberty freshmen Lauren Chennault, Abigail Egolf-Jensen and Olivia Robinson all compete in the three-meter diving prelims.
During this week's three-day meet, the top 18 from morning prelims each day qualify for evening finals. The top five combined scores from prelims and finals in three-meter diving qualify for the NCAA Division I Women's Swimming & Diving Championships.
Liberty's Top Performers
• Fr. Lauren Chennault – Three-meter diving (6) – 191.75 (50th place in prelims)
• Fr. Olivia Robinson – Three-meter diving (6) – 184.65 (51st place in prelims)
• Fr. Abigail Egolf-Jensen – Three-meter diving (6) – 173.30 (54th place in prelims)
• Zone A includes schools from Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Maine.
• This is the first NCAA postseason appearance for Liberty's divers. The Lady Flames are attempting to qualify for the 2019 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming & Diving Championships, held in Austin, Texas, March 20-23.
– Liberty has sent swimmers to the NCAA Championships five times in program history, including each of the last two years.
Tomorrow, Chennault, Egolf-Jensen and Robinson will compete in the one-meter springboard competition, with prelims beginning at noon. Zone A will receive six qualifications to the NCAA Championships in one-meter diving.