Liberty Completes Comeback, Defeats Kennesaw State in Overtime
Liberty was down 2-0 Saturday afternoon at Kennesaw State and the Lady Flames was able to complete the comeback and defeat the Owls, 3-2, in double overtime and securing a spot in the ASUN Tournament. Liberty is now 11-6-1 this season and 6-3 in conference while Kennesaw State drops to 7-7-2 and 4-3-2 in conference.
75’ – KSU – Jenna Vollrath (Assist by Caeden Price)
80’ – KSU – Agata Giani (Assist by Caeden Price)
82’ – LIBERTY – Kasey Jamieson (Unassisted)
90’ – LIBERTY – McKinley Burkett (Assist by Rebekah Earnest)
108’ – LIBERTY – Rebekah Earnest (Unassisted)
Liberty was controlling possession for most of the game but was unable to put points on the board. Late in the game, Kennesaw State was able to capitalize on its opportunities scoring two goals in a five-minute span to take a 2-0 lead with eight minutes left in the game. After KSU’s goal in the 80th minute, Liberty quickly responded, as Kasey Jamieson scored two minutes later and in the final minute of regulation, McKinley Burkett was able to convert inside the box to send the match into overtime. In double overtime, Rebekah Earnest was able to score, clinching the win for Liberty.
Key Stats & Notes
- Kasey Jamieson scored her seventh goal of the season.
- Rebekah Earnest recorded three points with a goal and an assist.
- McKinley Burkett scored her first goal of the season.
- Randi Palacios recorded three saves.
- Liberty outshot Kennesaw State 25-10.
- Jamieson attempted a game-high six shots.
- Zoe Gaffney attempted five shots.
- Ten different players attempted a shot for Liberty.
Liberty has clinched a spot in the ASUN Tournament and will begin on Friday, Oct. 29 with the site and opponent yet to be determined.